Quick Gift

csackettDecember 28, 2006

Every few years my quilt group gets together and spends one day making pillowcases. All sorts of patterns and fabrics. When someone in the group is hospitalized, they are given a pillowcase from the group to brighten up their room. I've started doing the same thing for friends of mine. This pillowcase is going to a friend that had knee replacement surgery and is in the hospital. I make seasonal pillowcases for my family (halloween, Christmas, valentines, etc.) They are so easy and make quick gifts.

Carolyn

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Carolyn, What a great idea! I've made Christmas pillow cases for the kids and DGK's, but never thought about doing it for those who were hospitalized! I want to make some up and keep on hand this year....same way with hair towels.

I don't do the extra trim on the pillow cases cause I can't figure out how to make it without a raw seam on the inside. Any suggestions? TIA

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   December 28, 2006 at 7:13AM
fran1523

That's very nice. My guild makes them for the local hospital.

Bookmark   December 28, 2006 at 10:23AM
csackett

Sharon,
I'll try to explain (it's really easy). I cut a 1 1/2" strip wof coordinating fabric,3/4 yd for the pillow case and 1/3" for the cuff. I fold and press the trim piece, wrong sides together. I slip it between the cuff and the pillow case part. I stitch it together and press the seam toward the cuff, but the trim stays on the casing part. After I've sewn the bottom and sides and then serged or zig-zagged the edges I turn the pillow case right sides out and fold under about 1/4" of the other end (unsewn end) of the cuff and pin it a little bit over the seam line of the trim, cuff, etc. On the right side of the pillow case I sew in the ditch of the seam line. It catches the other end of the cuff and makes a neat "no raw" edge. If this doesn't explain it better I can take pictures.Carolyn

Bookmark   December 28, 2006 at 2:56PM
gerizone5

That's a great idea!

Bookmark   December 28, 2006 at 6:24PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Carolyn, Thank you......I have it....one question though, the trim is not actually sewn to the case except at the seam line?????

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   December 28, 2006 at 8:46PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Carolyn, Ok, you just might have unleashed the pillowcase maniac in me! I made one last night...pink with brown accent, and loved it! I think I'm going to get a plastic shoe box size container and as I come across fabric I can use, get everything cut and keep together for pillowcases. That way, when I have just a few minutes to sew, or I'm at a stage when I can't think, but want to sew, they'll be there and I can sew away.

Thanks again.........
SharonG/FL

Bookmark   December 29, 2006 at 8:22AM
laurainsdca

That's great -- and a great idea!

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 6:52PM
biwako_of_abi

I love this idea, as I have been wanting to make some nice pillowcases to go with the quilt on my bed. It's awfully nice to give them to ill friends, too. A pretty pillowcase would cheer anybody up.

Bookmark   January 1, 2007 at 10:56PM
csackett

Sharon,
It's sewn in the seam between the cuff and the case part, and then in the seam down the side. I think some patterns show it as a small piece of fabric strip between the two. I fold it in half and put it in the seam between the two fabric choices.

Carolyn

Bookmark   January 1, 2007 at 11:38PM
lmarge

Could you please explain or take a picture of how the casing, cuff, and sides go together? Of course the picture would be great. I'm a visial person. Thanks Marge

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 11:42PM
glassquilt

It sounds like it's piping between the cuff & main body.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 6:56PM
csackett

Marge,
It is like piping, but I use no cording -just the folded fabric.I cut the strip and iron it folded in half. Then I place it between the end of the case and the cuff (right sides together). I sew all three pieces and then I sew the side seam and the bottom of the pillow case. I then turn under about 1/4 of the other edge of the cuff. I fold over the cuff and sew the edge just below the seam of the pillowcase and cuff.
Carolyn

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 10:18PM
lmarge

Got it! Thanks, they are fun to make. I have made 2 this afternoon and can see that I will make many more. Thanks again, Marge

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 11:30PM
marti8a

Are the inside seams like french seams? I visited a guild & they were handing out directions for that kind of pillowcase, but if I picked up the directions, I've misplaced them.

Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 9:08PM
csackett

Marti8a,
You can do a search and find them. If you'll email your address I'll send you a copy of a couple that I have. You could use french seams, but I just use a 1/4" seam and zig-zag the edges. Several of the ladies make them using their serger.
Carolyn

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 9:01PM
key4unc

Cool!

Bookmark   October 25, 2007 at 9:33AM
barbara_in_pa

I have done this pattern also, and what I have used on the coordinating cuff fabric is to use 2inch by 2inch squares... sew 4 rows by 28 rows and it makes what you need for the cuff (lower) part. I use my left-over scraps for this part, and add backing to this to get the needed fabric to make the 1/3 yard.
It is a great way to use your left over small pieces fabric,(I have a hard time tossing any fabric away!) I use a neuteral or solid fabric for the other fabric needed... I have this on hand for a quick gift I need to give someone.
I like the idea of giving them for charity... nice idea.
BARBARA

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 8:05AM
dian57

I found this neat video on how to make a pillowcase without a raw edge on the opening. The pilowcase tutorial starts about halfway through the video.

Dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Pillowcase video

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 7:04AM
More Discussions
Jamestown Landing ready to quilt.
I got the top done and loaded onto the frame. I am...
jackier123
Just finished
Pattern called Diamond Double from Cozy Quilt. If you...
nannykins
QOTD - Re-posting others' pictures
Is there a rule, or convention, or prohibition against...
loisflan
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Sponsored Products
XP Pogo Pendant
Lightology
Hammock Pillow in Brown Chambray, Patio Furniture
$59.99 | FRONTGATE
Couristan Anatolia Floral Ispaghan Rug - Red - 20560010022032T
$32.00 | Hayneedle
Hudson Reed Edifice Anthracite Diamond Panel Designer Radiator 63 x 11
Hudson Reed
Graceful Cast Iron Handrail Bracket
Signature Hardware