Ground water entering at skimmer collar!

edweatherMay 16, 2011

With all the rain this spring, and with the water table being almost at the surface, today I noticed that dirty ground water was flowing into the skimmer from where the adjusting collar attaches to the top of the skimmer body. I'm assuming this shouldn't be happening. Should I wait until things dry out and try sealing it with something like a 2 part epoxy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

Nope. Leave it. It should do it. When you replace the deck, a bazillion years from now, the skimmer will be safe and a new collar can be set in place.

When the water table drops and the pool is overfilled, it can let water out too.

Scott

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 8:48PM
edweather

Thanks for the help. Let me ask a stupid question. If we won't be replacing the deck for a gazillion years (we plan on moving in 7 years anyway,) what's the harm in sealing it? It seems to do more harm than good, because we seem have a high water table often and the ground water is constantly ruining the nice pool water. When the pool does get too full I usually have my eye on it and let water out, plus the amount that will flow out of the skimmer is minor compared to what comes in.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 9:45PM
poolguynj

If the water flow that could leave is minor, so is the water that could come in.

The aren't meant to be sealed.

You need a de-watering solution, not a perceived cure. Your idea of sealing is well intentioned but wrong. Getting rid of the source is the solution.

Scott

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 7:29AM
edweather

Scott thanks.

Except that the water that is entering is brown, and that's the problem.

Anyway, I am taking your good suggestion of leaving it unsealed. There are plenty of times during the fall, winter, and early spring that the pool is over full. I always wondered where the water was going when the level dropped after being full to the brim.

Also, maybe the collars are not meant to be sealed to leave a little room for deck movement during freeze/thaw cycles. I'd hate to lock it in and then have the skimmer crack if the deck moved a little.

Thanks again for your time. Ed

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 9:56AM
More Discussions
Screen around pool
Hi, This may not be the best forum for this question,...
ladoladi
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
Cleaning pool filter
Does your pool filter look like this after it's been...
bossyvossy
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™