Adding sand to paver patio

bellevue2007July 3, 2007

I recently put in a paver patio following the most common instructions. Dug the hole, added 6 inches of jagged gravel, tamped the gravel level, added 1 inch of sand, and laid the pavers. I then poured sand on top of the patio, and used a coarse broom to push the sand into the cracks while spraying it with water. I also hammered in a plastic border.

Since I have been done, it has rained almost every day. Whenever it rains, the sand in the cracks is washed out. Each time I have added and swept new sand into the cracks. The pavers have shifted slightly, but nothing too much(I used 16x16 inch pavers). Is this common with a new patio and will the sand/ground eventually settle so I can stop adding new sand? If so, how long should I expect to keep adding sand? Or is this a sign of an eventual problem that I need to fix?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dyhgarden

You might want to try polymeric sand by Techniseal. It hardens up, but looks just like sand. It lasts about two years before a re-apply. My DH and I did a re-apply to our flagtone walkway in about an hour yesterday. It looks like new except where a few birds walked through it! We have wider joints since we have flagstone.

Last summer, I put the polyermic sand on an 18x20 flagstone patio in just a few hours by myself.

You need 2 days of dry weather on either side of the application. Don't walk on it for 24 hours. You lightly mist the sand between layers. It comes in grey or taupe. A bag costs around $19.00 here at the local John Deere Landscaping store.

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Please recommend finish product for reclaimed redwood deck
We are installing a redwood deck in our new build and...
honu3421
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
Travertine medallion on porch
Hello We had water stained our concrete porch but the...
Rigbyblue
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™