what kind of window treatment over sink window?

rtmom2April 22, 2009

My sink is in the middle of a row of cabinets and I have a window about 6" up from it. (centered between top cabinets). My cabinets are a carmel color w/ dark brown glazing made of maple. Cabinets were previously not there and I had a larger window that I made smaller to put the sink under. Previously I had clear oak Hunter Douglas wood blinds w/ biege taping. My other windows are not near the cabinets so we put the blinds back up - not needed elsewhere for privioucy, but gets a lot of sun light. The window above the sink does need a blind for some privioucy, but not sure what to put in. The oak doesn't go well w/ the wood. I have been thinking about Hunter Douglas Vignette, Roman shades, or woven shades. I adventally want to change all my blinds if possiable, but that isn't untill 2 - 3 yrs (I want a new table, right now it is oak). Most blind stores have said over the sink may not be the best place for fabric, but I want to break up having so much would. What do you all reccommend? We brought the oak blinds 11 yrs ago when we brought the house and were expensive. I should add the blinds will usually be up during the day at night we will probably only close the 3/4.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booboo60

It would be sooooo helpful if you could post a picture. If you could get away from the privacy issue, maybe you could just have a colorful valance? Hard to know without a picture.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 4:17PM
enailes

Yes, I'd like a picture too! What about a shutter on the bottom portion only. In an off-white color and you could have a valance on the top to add color...

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 4:25PM
rtmom2

Sorry no pictures available, and shutters is not a thing to do in NY (even though they can be nice, do not fit look in my kitchen). I have Noice tumbled marble for a back splash if that helps and a French/Italiam feel to my kitchen. (Walls are painted a sage green) Also need some priviucy since kitchen looks into neighbors yard and can be seen from front sidewalk.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 6:27PM
teacats

Here are some photos of Roman Shades from Smith and Noble's website -- might be something there that might work for you!

Hope this helps!

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: photos from Smith and Noble -- roman shades

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 6:42PM
justgotabme

Why not go with a fabric valance and a standard roller shade for privacy? During the day it would be hidden under the valance.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 9:08PM
mitchdesj

I would go with a woven wood roman blind, even if you got a splash of water from the sink it could be wiped down fast.
some of the weaves incorporate a few tones that would blend with your new cabs.
I had those for years behind my sink and it was ideal.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 6:06AM
More Discussions
Argh! More curtain problems... Rings won't slide well on PB rod!
We have a sliding door (6' wide) in our bedroom. When...
collins design
who has grey kitchen cabinets?
would appreciate info from people who have grey cabinets...
mainewire
Improvement With A Few $'s
My plain pony wall bugged me. I finally tackled it...
mustangs81
help with retudorfying my house one step at a time
My front steps have succumb to the coldest February...
roarah
How comfortable are platform beds?
Are they harder/firmer/less comfortable without a box...
marti8a
Sponsored Products
Levolor Roman Shades: Tweed Rattan & Lemongrass Weaves
Blindsgalore
Window Cleaning Set
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Solid Wood Classic Window Box or Freestanding Planter
Signature Hardware
Area Rug: Stratford Kazmir Red 5' x 7' 7"
Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Natco Rugs Kurdamir Damask Black 5 ft. 3 in. x
Home Depot