Scrappy Maverick AKA What Not To Do!

geezerfolks_SharonG_FLNovember 15, 2007

In one of her posts, Teresa mentioned a maverick block and this quilt is filled with them. I had most of the 6" blocks already made up from fabric from when I belonged to Mr B's, and also from my scrap bin so I just incorporated them into 12 1/2" (unfinished) blocks. I started this before Teresa started the class so there are things here that probably shouldn't be done. My saving grace is that I kept all the blocks with a 3" grid so sewing them together was easier than if I used various grids. I'd like to put on borders, but am at a loss of what to do.......any thoughts?

The corner fabric is the same fabric as the wine color in the center flying geese (gooses?).

SharonG/FL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrizty

wow love that! it looks great as is! good job sharon!
if ya wanna add a border how bout a wide all white border n if ya still have some of your fabrics puttin little blocks linin the outter edges of the white.? or if ya have some of the wine color do the outter edges in wine.? or you could just do the hole border in wine,
i love how ya did the corners in the wine, reminds me of like a scrap book pitchure holder page,

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 12:56AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thanks, chrizty! I can see what you're saying and I think that's a good idea about using the wine fabric. I don't have a lot of it left so maybe I'll try a narrow border and then do something else for the next border. Stay tuned....

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 7:09AM
nanajayne

I think it is great and scrappy. I like the idea of a white boarder and maybe a narrow inner boarder of wine. what about edging it with praire points made from scrap fabric? I think that would be sharp. Jayne

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 9:38PM
grammyp

Sharon, I love it. How about a border of HST or just squares. But then again, if you did a solid border it would look even more like a photo on a page. Did I confuse you even more?

beverly

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 11:24PM
rosajoe_gw

Sharon,
I love your geesies, goosies!!! I think you can go with any border but the wine sounds gorgeous.
Beautiful scrappy quilt, I have to get off the redwork and make a scrappy!!!!
Rosa

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 5:25PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thanks, girls.....the more I look at it, the more I think it's ok. I'm thinking I'll make the wine border and then go from there.....I'll see how much fabric I have left to determine the width of it. I had fun making the gooses using that 2 square method..... (grin)

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 7:40PM
nana24

Sharon,
Your quilt is beautiful. You did really good.
TFS Be sure to let us see what you decide for a border.
Sally

Bookmark   December 1, 2007 at 8:40AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thanks, Sally. It was certainly a challenge!

I had very little left of the wine fabric, so had to wait to get more. The quilt has been laying on the living room floor for a few days and I'm looking at it. DH says it looks good to him but although I value his opinion (being an artist and all), being the maverick that I am, I sometimes see things differently and have to be content with the decisions on the quilts I make. Besides, right now I have light thread on the machine and am going full speed ahead on finishing some pillowcases for Christmas. Gotta get 'em done and mailed!

Bookmark   December 1, 2007 at 9:57AM
csackett

Very pretty. I love the scrappy look. Can't wait to see the finished pic.
Carolyn

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 11:54AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thanks, Carolyn. I've had to put it away for now as my mind is going crazy trying to get some projects done before Christmas. I don't do that much, but I seem to be more scatterbrained this year than normal and there are some things that I think absolutely 'have' to get done....this quilt isn't one of them, but eventually, it'll get there.

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 6:13PM
maryliz

LOL ... "what not to do"! What an intriguing title. I had to see...

Hey, not bad! I like the diagonal pattern that emerges from the seemingly random set of blocks. Very nice, Sharon!

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
damascusannie
Would you mind sharing your links for the old Singer...
csackett
a question regarding binding
I know. I'm just full of questions. I want to make...
donna_loomis
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Are you quilting this weekend? March 27-29
I stayed up late last night making a teapot block for...
lindaoh_gw
Sponsored Products
Chooty & Co Duck 19 x 19 in. Ruffled Pillow - CS17R554
$34.25 | Hayneedle
Swag Paper Clouds Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - STCLOUDBLUE4
$50.99 | Hayneedle
Okapi Stripe Runner 2'6" x 8' - TAUPE
$229.00 | Horchow
Wright Stuff Black Three Light Bath Fixture
$399.00 | Bellacor
Benjamin® Bomber Porcelain Stem Light
Barn Light Electric Company