I-Spy 'Yummy' quilt

sewsew_quiltrOctober 13, 2008

Pictures of the I-Spy Yummy quilt:

Detail of the path and border:

There are 6"x6" squares of brightly-colored edible-themed fabrics arranged in a path by color, and continuing into the border as 6"x3". This makes a nice matching game of the larger and smaller shapes. Started from my stash of 6"x9" charms intended for a bottle block / canning jar quilt. I ran an online swap monthly for nearly two years to collect this variety of fabrics.

I finished the pieced top in April of 2006, then it took me until August to decide that I couldn't quilt it myself (as a first try at quilting). I sent it out to a very nice LAQ who stitched many different food-related words in script in the blue gaps between the paths. Completed and gifted to my niece Emily Sapyta for Christmas 2006.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yummy I-Spy quilt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foxykitten350234

That is a great I-spy quilt! Where did you get the cool idea of making a path?

Foxy.

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 4:28AM
lola99

Very nice. I really like how you put it together like a watercolor quilt. Nice job!

Lola

Bookmark   October 14, 2008 at 6:03PM
sewsew_quiltr

Hi Foxy and Lola - When working on this quilt project, I was trying to organize the bright squares and sorted them into color order. They stayed that way in the final project!

It reminded me of when I was in graphic design classes in college, and my youngest brother was in Kindergarten. To keep him busy while I was doing my homework, I would dump out my markers or colored pencils and have him sort them into color sequence. Little brother... meet ROY G. BIV!

Obstensibly I made this quilt for his 2-year-old young daughter, but really I made it with my 30-year-old brother in mind (don't tell my niece).

Funny that the main path and the borders are made up of the same fabrics, but I sequenced them slightly differently.

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 12:06AM
redpenny

Very clever! I like it!

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 11:39PM
rosajoe_gw

Very creative!!! I love the pattern.
Rosa

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 4:57PM
biwako_of_abi

It is beautiful and delightful. I love the idea that a child could play at matching fabrics in the path with the smaller pieces in the border.

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
MARCH 2015 Lotto Block
MARCH Friendship Star 12-1/2" - Black and white...
beth7happy
Freddie Fox
I've been working on various works in progress, sandwiching...
littlehelen_gw
Fun idea, but need help.
I am an occasional, novice, quilter and am making a...
beteacher
What should I do with these?
I picked up this jelly roll of Kaffe Fassett fabrics...
Fran Sajewicz
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™