Chlorine Tablets - Difference in quality?

jchangMay 11, 2009

I have a Hayward offline chlorinator that uses 1" or 3" tri-chlor tabs. Does the size of the tab make a difference (I'm guessing the 1" dissolve more quickly, but I can regulate the amount of chlorine going into pool independently of the dissolve rate)?

Also, are all tablets made the same or are some makers better than others?

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cascade

smaller tabs = greater surface area so they dissolve faster if you put the same weight of tabs in the feeder.

As far as quality goes, I always tell my customers they can buy all their chemicals at the discount store if they want, except for pucks. I've found the cheaper pucks dissolve nicely for the first little while then turn to pulp while a quality puck will dissolve evenly until it's gone.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 4:11PM
jchang

Thanks - I'm thinking of using the 3" pucks because I found that the 1" tabs dissolve too quickly. How can one tell the difference between a quality puck and a cheap one - just based on price?

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 12:47PM
renovxpt

Chlorine dramatically loses strenght while it sits on the store shelf or in the bucket at your house. For this reason you don't want to buy the large containers for the slighty lower price per lb or the end of season specials. The individually wrapped tabs seem to hold up better but I don't know this for a fact. You definitely want the 99% tabs.

What you are regulating is the amount of water going through the chlorinator. When you turn it down to lower levels you increase the crusting potential of the tubing, flow regulator and all interior componets of the chlorinator. For that reason the larger tabs are better.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
pool filter leak; newbies buying the house
We have a contract on a house with a pool. The pool...
defgarden
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
hot tub evaporation rate in cold
Ok, newbie here to pool and hot tub ownership. We have...
ladybugfruit
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™