Pergola design

MalappJuly 24, 2013

I have some design questions about a pergola 14 foot wide by 12 foot long. I am replacing a pergola attached to my townhouse on two sides. The two sides of the townhouse form an âÂÂLâ shape. I want to cover the pergola with polycarbonate sheets.

Because of my community regulations, I canâÂÂt expose the cover. So, my idea is to space my 2 x 10 top 24 inches apart and then attach 2 x 2âÂÂs inside the beams creating a 4:12 slope. The polycarbonate would be fastened to the 2 x 2âÂÂs and supported with a 2 x 2 cross member every 2 feet. I live in Miami Florida and plan to use hail proof polycarbonate.

Similar to the method used to attach the polycarbonate sheeting, I would run another 2 x 2 inside the beams creating 2â x 2â boxes that will have bamboo matting stapled to it. Lastly, to create a finished look, I would cover the visible perimeter of the boxes after the bamboo is stapled with 1 x 2âÂÂs.

My 14-foot wide beam will be 3 2 x 10âÂÂs sandwiched together with adhesive and screws and then attached to the top of my 6 x 6 post with BCS post caps. The 2 x 10âÂÂs would have to span 10 feet from the side of the house to the top cross member. The 2 x 10âÂÂs would be fastened to the house using joist hangers. They would not be visible from below.

Is my design idea faulty, will the 3 2 x 10âÂÂs support the load of the pergola? Do I have enough slope to allow for drainage of rain water? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charlieboring

Here is my pergola that was built over a portion of my patio to support kiwi plants. The kiwis are in their first year.

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 9:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wardman

Have you thought about retractable style blinds inside the pergola so that you can retract them (think old school blinds). Someone told me they were available and may provide an option for you.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™