Chlorine Generator (Salt Cell)

swimmer22May 16, 2012

Just curious- how long did you salt chlorinator last. I have an intelichlor i40 that was installed in July 2008 when the pool was built and it has died. The cost to replace is about $700. This translates to $175/year plus salt costs. Expensive compared to plain chlorine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirateslovebacon

IMHO, your figures are not more expensive compared to any other alternative.

Personally, I'm highly skeptical of advice from strangers on the internet, and I only learn from my stupid mistakes. With that in mind, I recommend you try to live without your cell this summer. I bet you don't make it August.

BTW - Google around. I was able to find a generic cell replacement for my system (different than yours) for hundreds less than the OEM brand.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 9:23PM
jscozz

I have had Pentair tell me that the normal lifetime of their salt cells is about 3-7 years... 3 if your chemistry is not maintained very well, and 7 if it is maintained properly. I have no real-world experience yet... only what Pentair has told me.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 11:38PM
poolguynj

Cells are typically manufactured to make chlorine for 10,000 hours of on time with proper pool chems. Poorly maintained chems will result in a shorter life.

Ex Pump is on 8 hrs a day. Cell at 50% power equals 4 hours per day of on time.

Cells know two states, On and Off. The Power setting is usually how much On time is used per hour.

Scott

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 3:01AM
muddy_water

What is your cell doing have you had it checked? I have a diagnostic wand. That will tell me good, bad, number of hours ran, High salt, low salt conditions and the percentages that the cell has been set on. Have the cell checked it might just be a flow sensor that can be replaced.

Rusty

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 6:50AM
neilaz

I have the same as OP and mine was installed April 2006. Last year i bought my second one. I am getting 3 years max. Mine burst open. Thought about using epoxy and applying all over the cell.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 10:05AM
muddy_water

freeze damage?

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
Basement pool - How to prepare the room?
With some slight modifications to my garage (dropping...
Alex House
Almost there, infinity edge
Waiting on plaster and landscaping. Almost there......
poolmd
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
Pool Filter question
Hi All, I'm new to this board. Thanks in advance for...
austinyankeefan
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™