towel toppers

rosajoe_gwSeptember 20, 2008

I forgot I had the pattern to make a fast towel topper from a square pot holder and towel. I paid $1.50 for both and turned the holder to the back to embroider it. They don't embroidery well!!! But is sure is a really cheap change for the kitchen. And I washed an identical towel, so this is not washable LOL!!!

I think this would look great with a small quilted pot holder and a more expensive towel. The towel is basted in half and stitched to the middle of the holder. Sew on a button and the loop on the pot holder (to hang it up) is the button fastner. I thought of Sharon's NY towel project when I made this LOL!!! See the streaks from the glass cleaner, that stuff does not work for me and I was too lazy to macrofiber towel it, maybe tommorrow, maybe not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rosa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Are you looking for towels already?!!! Even I haven't started looking. lololol This sure is a fast way to make those towels, Rosa. I hope to be able to make up a few. I've got my towels held together by clothespins! And, you mean glass doors don't have streaks built in??????

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 8:13PM
grammyp

Now isn't that just the cutest thing! I gotta get an embroidery machine, no doubt about it.

I didn't know you could remove streaks from glass. What a strange idea.

beverly

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 10:47AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Rosa! I haven't hardly worked on my table runners today cause I was playing around with towels and potholders!!!!! Gotta get me some more! lol

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 9:28PM
rosajoe_gw

Aren't they cute and easy?????
I have had this pattern for years and completely forgot about it.
Show us the pics Sharon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rosa

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 1:07PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Well, since I don't have an embroidery machine, mine are just plain, the way I bought them. But, now that I've done a couple and sort of know what I'm doing, I might play around with some fancy stitches on the potholder before attaching it to the towel. Can't beat the price! $1.50 plus the button from the big old button can!

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 9:47PM
calliope

Boy, I really like that. I have been given a couple of towels I keep hanging from my fridge door, and they are way past due for the rag bag, and I never even considered making my own. That's a great idea. I have an old lotto block I pieced I didn't know what to do with, so made into a potholder. I can use that! Thanks.

Bookmark   September 26, 2008 at 1:55AM
lilypad22

I had to look a couple of times to "get" how the towel was attached....usually there is only one towel half...I really like the idea of having all the towel, that way, either way/side will work. I don't have an embroidery machine so I was thinking an easy/quick applique or folded fabric flowers or yo yo flowers. Your project turned out really cute. It would be something fast for a quick gift. tish

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 9:34PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

I wish I could find the potholders with the loop on the corner. It gives more room for the towel and also for a little decoration. I've only looked at 3 stores so need to look further.

Tish, I like your idea of a quick applique. Could fuse something on then satin-stitch around it. I think I'll look into that today.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 7:16AM
rosajoe_gw

I found some orange pot holders that I stained with coffee so they are not as bright. I think I'll applique some pumpkins for a fall effect.
Sharon I had to cut the loop off and sew it to the corner.It's on the back so it doesn't show at all.
Yo yo flowers would be adorable, there are so many possibilities!!
Rosa

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 3:57PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Rosa, You are just so innovative! I'll try the cut and corner sew the loop!

I have a sick mind. I have this nice birdhouse towel with some cute little birdies on it. I satin stitched a cute little cat onto the potholder looking at the cute little birdies. I actually had my brother in mind for that one! The potholder is black and the background the cat is on is black so it looks pretty cool. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow.

Sharon

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 9:15PM
scm28_woh_rr_com

You know I'm a novice can you give me step by step on making these towels with the quilted toppers Thank you so much

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 10:34PM
rosajoe_gw

Susan,
They are sooooooo easy!!! Fold the towel in half to find the center. Lay towel right side up and place pot holder right side down on the towel. Gather the towel to fit the pot holder and I usually hand baste large stitches to hold in place before I sew it on the machine. I use large stitches because it is bulky. use the button to keep it on the stove door. THAT IS IT!!!!!!!!!
Rosa

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 2:27PM
aquadragonfly

Hey something I can actually understand! I was wondering WHY you needed to have to hook thing on the side but THAT is how it stays on the button which is attached to the other side where the hanger goes!!!
I am glad I am not sleepy or I wouldn't have gotten this LOL....
I so like this idea and I think when I get me a machine I will do some for gifts!
Sharon I so love the cat idea, please post a pic, I can't wait to see it lol.

Hey y'all, I'm new to this side :)
:) Aqua

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 12:31AM
More Discussions
need help with big stitch quilting
Hi. I was sure that I had started a post about this...
day2day
Need advice on batting and a little help with Houzz
I have only made two quilts, both small ones, and have...
donna_loomis
Latest for my neighbor
Made this for my good neighbor who keeps our driveway...
nanajayne
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
Sewing Cabinet opening size
I have a new Babylock Crescendo sewing machine (equivalent...
kimwebs
Sponsored Products
Cotton 12-piece Towel Set with Bath Sheets
Overstock.com
Sassy Zebra Personalized Towel
$24.99 | zulily
Victoria Damask Glass Soap Dish
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Chapeau Pendant by Slamp
$1,488.00 | Lumens
Camden Towel Ring - Chrome
Signature Hardware