Pool needs shocking, but I don't have time
Hi everyone - please help a noob out. I've been studying in Pool School. I need to shock my 38K gal concrete pool. The water is cloudy and in the deep end we have a greenish cast. Not a full algae bloom but not good. We got a huge rain 7 days ago that threw off our tenuous grip on clear sparkly water. I brushed the pool on Saturday and vacuumed to waste, added 4 lbs of 73% cal hypo and three caps phos free pool magic. Running pump 24/7, sand filter, since we opened in early April because we haven't gotten everything balanced yet. I can now see the drain in the deep end, but know the sand filter will take some time.
My drop test doesn't include CYA (I know, I need to get a better test kit! It's on the to-do list!) so I've been going to Leslie's for about 3 weeks, gradually adding CYA to bring level from 0 to 25. I'm using 3" pucks left in the bucket from the seller until they are used up, so that is adding a bit of CYA, too. pH is 7.4 and CYA 25. I cannot keep chlorine in the pool, so know shocking is in order.
However, to babysit it to keep a shock level of 10 or 11ppm over the course of days, I will need to wait until next weekend. Should I even bother putting ANY chlorine in until then? It feels pointless, since I know it will just be gobbled up by the organics, but I fear letting the organics get even further ahead of me than they are. How do you all handle this?
(PS, I am making my baby steps into BBB, too, purchased a cartload of 6% bleach at Wal-Mart. I am trying to use up chems left from seller before I go full plunge).