Rag quilt

nana24August 10, 2008

Our neighborhood sewing group was challanged and given a pattern by one neighbor-a former Home_Ec teacher to make this rag quilt. I made mine in 9 blocks rather than put the whole top together because I wanted to quilt as I went by using a design on my embroidery machine. ( her instructions was to cross each block with and X). My batting shows around each square but I have decided it gives it character and adds interest and softness. It is 60 inches square. I did not enjoy cutting all those edges because it is just the opposite of what we are usually doing getting every thing as neat as possible. I did get a special pair of sissors for rag quilt cutting and they were great. I do like it now that it is finished. I found the hardest thing about using the embroidery machine to quilt was getting it in the hoop but it was fun.

The last picture shows the back. I didn't have quite enough of that fabric so the middle square on the back is the same as the solid purple on the front.

Sally

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grammyp

Good quilt, love those colors.

beverly

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 11:01PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Wow, Sally, That's a bunch of cuttin'! I'll have to leave that for you youngsters. lol

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 9:56AM
chrizty

that turned out soooooooo nice!

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 10:11AM
rosajoe_gw

I love the colors, you did a great job. Everyone in my fam loves raggedy edge quilts beacuse they are so comfy and soft.
Rosa

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 5:45PM
nana24

Sharon, I got myself a pair of Fons and Porter Rag scissors which are very sharp and a short blade so as not to cut too far and they have a rubber handle. Also since the fabric is regular cotton it wasn't too hard to cut;just took a while. I do like the results but as I said it wasn't easy doing all that cutting when we usually want neat.
I had bought the fabric just because I really liked it and had it in my stash. I was happy with a place to use it.

Thanks for your nice comments.

Sally

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 10:18AM
djweeks

I love the rag quilts! So comfy! I've made several, but just learned a great "trick". Instead of batting, if you use flannel and cut it the same size as the blocks, you don;t have to sew the X. And... it shows, but you trim it same as he blocks and it adds to the raggyness.

Bookmark   November 30, 2008 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 28-March 1
What are you working on this week? My DD and I are...
lindaoh_gw
Old/new names
So I (we) don't lose anyone, I think listing our forum...
jennifer_in_va
March 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Our March came in like a lamb. How about where you...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™