ground level deck, rim joist flashing and vents questions

marcelo_pJuly 11, 2014

Hey guys and gals, thanks for any help beforehand, this is a great forum for deck building info. I'm building a ground level deck under the pavilion in the pic. I'm worried about protecting the framing of the deck before I build it. So far after a few rains it looks like like water just about makes it to the rim joist area thanks to the two foot roof overhang all the way around. I have vycor flashing for the tops of the rim joists and for between connectors. I was thinking of putting a layer of vycor on the fascia side of the rim as well as the top to protect it from water. I'm probably going to use cumaru shorts from the decking as fascia to put over it. I've read on here about using vents in the rim and top decking but i'm worried about weakening the the rim which is going to be a double 2x6 on 6ft footing spacing by putting holes in it. I'm putting down a 2 1/2' perimeter of 3/4" pebbles around the deck and it's very sandy soil under where the deck will go, water drains fast if any makes it under. I'm thinking I shouldn't be too worried about ventilation so much since it's covered by a roof and my soil is great for drainage and probably wont really see water anyway.

What do you guys think? Worst case I was thinking maybe just putting vents only where footings are towards the top of the joists to minimize structural weakening.
P.S. the wet ground in the pick is from me hosing off the pebbles. The dirt that will be under the deck hasn't gotten naturally wet yet even after heavy rains.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Poor idea all around, a deck needs much more ventilation than that. needs to be a minimum of 10" off the ground and open 2 sides at the very least and 3 would be much better.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 7:41PM
marcelo_p

wow I know off the ground is best but I figured if it was covered, keeping it pretty dry it would extend the decks life dramatically.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:08PM
millworkman

it is open on 4 sides you will still have moisture/rain and it will still get wet. If anything the roof structure will make it worse as it will not get the sun to help dry it out.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 11:40AM
marcelo_p

thanks for the info millworkman, as crappy as it's gonna look i'm going to try and dig deeper around it

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Cedar VS Pressure treated porch posts
When we built our house, the contractor put in cheap...
ricksample
Redoing my deck
My deck is in rough shape, and this is my first real...
Snowed In
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
Any experience with aluminum decking?
We're considering one of the watertight aluminum decking...
dmnmnky
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
Sponsored Products
Delta IV Pendant by Rich Brilliant Willing
$2,025.00 | Lumens
FiberBuilt Bridgewater 11-ft. Fiber Teak Contract Patio Umbrella - 11BPU-TK-4637
$899.99 | Hayneedle
California Umbrella Patio Umbrellas 11 ft. Aluminum Collar Tilt Double Vented
Home Depot
Salsbury Industries Lockers 76000 Series 12 in. W x 78 in. H x 18 in. D Six
Home Depot
Stearns & Foster Estate Ultra Firm Mattress
$1,099.99 | zulily
Black Chimney Vented 13-Inch Wall Lantern with Clear Seeded, Square, Cross Bar
$131.10 | Bellacor
Zephyr 36W in. Horizon Wall Mounted Range Hood with White Glass - AHZ-M90AWX
Hayneedle
Windster 42W in. WS-38 Series Range Hood Ductless Kit - WS-3842DK