small garden wall..

livvyandbellaJuly 20, 2009

I would like to build a simple wall around my garden. I have seen how people have ....I think I would call them flat pavers, just fitting one on top of each other, maybe two feet tall. My husband can no longer get down to do it because of poor knees, and I would like to attempt it. Can someone explain how?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

The ones sold at Home Centers are called landscaping blocks. They're fairly heavy - perhaps 20 lbs apiece. Measure about 12 x 6 x 4" thick.

If you can work with the weight, you need to dig a trench about 6" deep. Place a couple inches of limestone screenings on the bottom, using this to create a level base. The first row of block will be at or below ground level. Use a level adding or removing screenings to make this row level. The remaining rows are simply stacked atop like a brick wall. You can use adhesive to secure the blocks to one another if you wish.

I've done it and it is work. If you take your time though and do a little at a time you'll be fine. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 7:51AM
livvyandbella

Thank you. I don't think I will be doing that. Didn't realize they were that heavy. I think I was thinking of something 1/2 that size.

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 8:07PM
fnmroberts

The smaller ones aren't heavy enough to remain in place and retain soil. There use to be one with a pre-drilled hole for driving a pipe through. When you're at a nursery or home center, take a look at what is available. Could be something I'm not familiar with.

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 7:32AM
More Discussions
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
Best concrete sealer to prevent salt damage? Any virgin concrete
I'm not sure which part of the forum this question...
growingadvice
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™