Rained 12 hours after appling deck stain

jb_njJuly 23, 2008

I applied a Cabot semi-transparent stain on a small deck and a heavy thunderstorm passed over 12 hours after I finished.

Cabot's recommends 24 - 48 hours drying time.

Any chance it could have dried in time? How will I know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasper60103

jb, I'm no expert.

FWIW, I read "Let stain dry thoroughly before using deck. Allow 12-24 hours depending on temperature and humidity."

It probably dried to the touch within a couple hours. Also, you didn't use the deck during that period, i.e. no foot traffic to rub off the stain.

Anyway, IMO unless it starts peeling or flaking I would just wait a year before restaining.

Look at it this way. If you hired a guy to clean and stain your deck. It's unlikely he'll come back because it rained the next day. Things happen. Enjoy your deck.

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 9:49AM
tunaman4u2

I had my semi-solid cabots oil get rained on about 12 hours after & it looks fine. Good luck getting enough sun to dry the deck for a few days, allow you to stain on your day off & then not rain the next day. Surely not here in New England!

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 7:31PM
terrace.newbie

This just happened to me! 10% chance of precipitation and I guess I got unlucky. It looks ok, but the water is pooling on some boards and I'm not sure how it will look when it's dried. Of perhaps more concern is the fact that the water is not beading...

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™