My almost done quilt

melindaeuAugust 16, 2006

Well, it's as done as it's going to get for a couple of weeks. I just finished at midnight connecting my patches. I still have the border to go, the batting, and the backing, then the quilting. I pretty much dig it. Many of the squares are from top quality thrift shop shirts and table cloths, especially the plaids. Others are from some stash and some swaps. The blue pieces are from Joann's and it is that fabric that I will be doing the backing from -- it's 102 inches wide.

It's for one of my adult grandsons, who is 6'3" (yeah me, a little 5'1" grandma....how does that happen!?) so I made it longer to fit his bod.

I named it from the beginning, "As American as Apple Pie" (like that's never been done before!). I did that because some of the fabric was apples and pies, and some was rah rah USA stars and stripes. But as I went on, other fabrics started creeping in. It is nothing like the magazine sample that I used for the pattern, no sense to the lights and darks. In fact, the only thing it has in common are the 2 1/2" squares, and the 4 1/2 x 6 1/2" rectangles. The orginal is so pretty which is why I went for this, but I just couldn't duplicate what they did!

Mel

Me at midnight in my jammies.

DH kindly got out of bed to hold take my pic and hold it all up for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scraphappy

Oh, I really like that!!!

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 4:48PM
laurainsdca

HOW FUNNY -- I was looking at those pictures and in my head I kept thinking, exactly, "OH, I REALLY LIKE THAT." So I scrolled down to post it and what would you know but Scraphappy was three steps ahead of my.

Oh, I really like that, By the way!

Love it!

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 5:03PM
ironkit

I'm going to third Laura and ScrapHappy. I really like that! I may have to copy it one of these days.

~ Kit

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 5:54PM
redpenny

I like it too!

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 6:38PM
glassquilt

Ditto

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 6:45PM
meskauskas

Oh Mel, I just love it! It's so cozy and homey and the different size squares make it so interesting. What a neat quilt!
Clara

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 9:21PM
mexicomarti

Now THERE'S a cheery quilt! I hope your giant grandson has happy dreams under that happy quilt.

Lovely job

Marti in Mexico

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 9:33PM
teresa_nc7

A great scrappy quilt! Love that blue fabric and the stars in the 9-patch blocks.

Teresa

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 11:07PM
kathi_mdgd

Mel,
I just love that one,as someone else said it's so homey.
Make sure to check out the dust ruffles(bed skirts) at the thrift shops as well.A lot of fabric in those things.Can you tell i do the thrift shop thing also???
Kathi

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 11:18PM
cmc_97

Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks great!

I saw this pattern in the magazine (can't remember which one now) and thought it would be perfect for those 9-patch and 4-patch blocks I made doing the "leaders and enders" routine from the Quiltville website.

Marti, what about all those blocks you made in, as you put it, color combinations that you will never use? Hmmmmmm.

CMC

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaders and Enders explained

Bookmark   August 18, 2006 at 11:12AM
grammyp

Mel, I love it. Looks like a nice old quilt.

beverly

Bookmark   August 19, 2006 at 9:16PM
fran1523

That is a fabulous quilt. I love it. It's a wonderful use of scrap fabrics. Absolutely lovely.

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 10:33PM
quiltdiva

Mel, that is a fantastic quilt! I just love it! I was thinking that since I don't have a pretty blue paisley like you used, a denim would look good with that pattern too. Now that's another inspiration I'll have to add to my list.
Kay

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 1:02AM
gerizone5

I love it also.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 4:55AM
More Discussions
What should I do with these?
I picked up this jelly roll of Kaffe Fassett fabrics...
Fran Sajewicz
The Zelda Quilt-Along
We launched Zelda: The Quilt-Along on my blog yesterday....
lindaoh_gw
Spider Web
And I still have lots of scraps!!! The first border...
nannykins
MARCH 2015 Lotto Block
MARCH Friendship Star 12-1/2" - Black and white...
beth7happy
National Quilting Day March 21, 2015
The third Saturday of March is National Quilting Day...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™