Kitchen Paint Color-let's add in some life!

kellienoelleMarch 26, 2013

I am leaving my remodeled kitchen (courtesy of the help of GW) at the end of the week when I move to a new house. The kitchen there is fine (except for a misplaced sink that I am trying to get over), but is blander than bland. Way too beige for me. My plan was to live in it and eventually paint it along with the adjoining hearth type room at some point down the road. However, my mother is coming out to help me move and mentioned something about hoping to get that kitchen painted too while she is here. Now who am I to pass up some cheap labor, so am now scrambling to come up with some paint colors to spice it up a bit. Here are the pics from the listing ....the furniture is the previous homeowners. We'll be getting new furniture eventually so don't need to worry about matching current furnishings. The only adjoining room with color is the dining room which is red (and visible on the connecting wall).

So help me breath life into this "fine" kitchen.

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 21:27

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kellienoelle

and here is a pic of the adjoining hearth room

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 5:47PM
bcafe

Well, I love the SW Anjour Pear that we used!

Here is a link that might be useful: anjou pear

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 7:03PM
live_wire_oak

Green. Something bold, but not in your face. SW Hearts of Palm. I like how it plays well with red.

Or, if not it, one of the yellowed greens on this card would work.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 7:56PM
bcafe

LWO, I just suggested Hearts of Palm to a friend earlier in the week. She has natural maple cabs and I thought they would play nice together.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 8:15PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

You are leaving a perfect kitchen to someone else. You can't control what THEY do after they buy.

I love what you did, but wouldn't buy if you changed it.

Suzi

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 8:34PM
kellienoelle

oh I love that green. Its bright, it's happy, it's full of life. I wonder if that would fly with my husband. I wonder how it would look as just an accent wall if I couldn't talk him into an all over color.

One last pic which shows that the green may either kind of "connect" with the red unless I change it. It is not very visible in this pic due to the pendant light in the way, but it is kind of the transition point from the hallway from the dining room to the kitchen where the paint and crown molding just end. I had thought that I would want to extend the crown eventually but if I did that I would probably have to extend that red paint to at least down that wall around the fridge? And how would that tie into the new color?

And desertdance, this is the kitchen in my new house that I am moving into this week that I want to paint while I have my mother here. My old kitchen (not pictured) is the one that I remodeled.... and has the sink placed in the appropriate spot But again, I am trying to get over that in this new house ... not really working, huh? haha

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 9:45PM
kellienoelle

Bump to see iff there are any other ideas for wall color

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 11:40PM
colorfast

To be honest, my immediate reaction was a salmon or melon color, not unlike the chair in the photo above.I am not sure it would work--that was was just the first thing I thought of.

However, I like the pear and especially the green others have posted.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 1:38AM
dilly_ny

My cabinets are a bit lighter than yours and I have similar counters. I haven't painted yet, but we tried several samples on the walls and we like tea light (I think it's Ben Moore).

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:35AM
autumn.4

Here is the link. It shows a matching palette which is very pretty too.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Tea Light

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:44AM
badgergal

Congratulations on your new home. I'm sure you will very quickly have it personalized with your great decorating style. I love the suggestion for the Hearts of Palm color. If you can't get your husband on board with that shade of green perhaps he would be open to a more sage green color. We had a red living room in a rental condo we owned and the adjoining hallway was sage green. It looked great together.
You could also consider a tan color. Our painter and I tried very hard to use some red color accent with the BM Hillcrest Tan color I put in my kitchen. Didn't get it to work in my space but the red looked good with the dark tan. Hillcrest Tan is a hard color to photograph accurately but the picture below is a pretty good representation (and see how nice the red in the ribbon looks with the tan)

Can't wait to see how your space looks when you put your touch on it.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 9:19AM
kellienoelle

Thank you so much for the responses. I am leaning towards some type of green for that room. I actually did get my husband to OK the Hearts of Palm, so will try putting a sample on the wall. My mother is afraid of color, so I can only assume she will about have a heart attack when she sees it. If the vote is that this is too bright, I also really like the Tea Light. It looks really fresh with the white trim in that picture (which the adjoining hearth room has) and the matching palatte includes colors very similar to the kitchen cabinets and counters.

I appreciate the suggestions, we move over the next two days so time is short to go paint sample shopping! I'll keep you guys posted!

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 3:20PM
EAM44

There is no paintable wall space in the kitchen, is there? You're really talking about painting the family room - is that correct or have I missed something?

If you want to liven up the kitchen space, paint the ceiling and add colorful accents of orange, green and blue.

Do you like the red in the adjoining space? That's the color I would change, and pair creams and blues with your woods in the kitchen/fr.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 11:21AM
chispa

You could try BM Grant Beige, a nice beige/tan with a green undertone. It won't be too much darker than what you have now, but the color has more depth. It goes great with red and orange.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 11:35AM
may_flowers

I saved a photo of Grant Beige from Houzz that I really liked, and it does look like a very nice organic green.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant Beige

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
KitchenAid Mixer - Sea glass or azure blue
I'm having a tough time deciding between the Sea glass...
sillyk
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
2LittleFishies Yellow Kitchen Reveal !!! LONG!
OK, here is my finished yellow kitchen thread! Can't...
2LittleFishies
What to put above kitchen window
I would like some help in finding a unique piece of...
zorroslw1
Advice on first draft of kitchen layout
One change already is I may go with a cooktop, micro/convection...
happyallison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™