Uncle J's Neckties - WIP

geezerfolks_SharonG_FLAugust 3, 2009

It's been a year and a half. I've finally gotten to this point. This laid on the kitchen table (we don't use it anyway) for quite awhile because I couldn't bring myself to cut the narrow ends off. Then it got to where I could smell his scent....needless to say, it's a work in progress. I have it in halves, 1 yard for each end. I think I'm going to see about putting the backing on now and sewing the ties down, then sew the halves together. The lighting isn't quite right but you get the idea....

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maggie_sue

Wow, that is going to be great, will love to see the finished quilt.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 7:08PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thanks, maggie sue, I'll be sure to post a picture when it happens. @:)

Sharon

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 9:07PM
magothyrivergirl

Oh Wow! This looks like the display table of ties in Norstroms! Are you planning on sewing these ties to each other - thru the muslin(?) backing?

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 8:41PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Yes, I plan to hand stitch the ties down. I have them on an off-white fabric but might use muslin for the backing. I hadn't planned on using any kind of batting as I didn't take out the lining of the ties and I didn't want it heavy. She just plans to drape it on the back of her couch or chair so she can look at them. I'm thinking I'll sew them down through this fabric first and then after the center is done, I might just outline the points all the way around through the backing....we'll see. @:)

Sharon

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 9:19PM
grammyp

That will be beautiful when you finish it. What a great way to use the ties.

beverly

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 8:57AM
magothyrivergirl

How sweet she wants to look at his ties...........it will make a nice coverlet.
I used to make ties - most, if not all, are interfaced with a horsehair interfacing, which is heavy, and since the ties are sewn on the bias, I agree you need to sew them to the backing fabric to stabilize them w/out batting. You then may want to consider a very low loft or flannel batting beyond the points to even out the thickness ~ stitching, maybe echo quilting around the points of the ties. What a
nice gift / memento you are making. Please post your pics when you finish it (or before).

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 4:36PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Mago, I did take the inferfacing out of one tie and felt the weight. I was really surprised, but I still didn't take out the rest of them! I like the flannel idea for beyond the ties. Thanks!

She wants it pretty much lap size so I probably won't make it much larger than what it already is, except for borders. I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there. I've decided (I think) on a deep red/wine on black fabric to use in the middle of the ties.

Sharon

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 6:12PM
rosajoe_gw

A great collection of ties. I think the deep red/wine on black will really look gorgeous.
The way you have them laid out in the oval pattern looks good too.
Rosa

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 2:39PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thanks, Rosa. The oval just sort of 'happened' when I started laying them out. I like it better than the dresden plate look....especially since I wanted to use as many ties as I could. I have a little over half of them there and I know she gave away a bunch before she gave me what was left.

Sharon

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 7:13PM
magothyrivergirl

Sharon - good choice for color - since you have so many ties leftover, maybe you can use them as a narrow binding. Ties are sewn on the bias, so you have a built-in diagonal seam and it appears he really liked stripes. This really is very a very cool project and so nice of you. Did he use tie tacks or a tie bar? (is that what they are called? can't recall - those things that kept the tie attached to the dress shirt), if so maybe you could include it on one of the ties.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 3:31PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Mago, Great idea for the binding! Yes, he used both tie tacks and bars but I don't have any of them. I'm sure she kept a few.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 11:32AM
love2sew

What an interesting project. Never thought of doing anything with ties. This will be a real conversation piece. Looking forward to the finished pics.
Jean

Bookmark   August 10, 2009 at 3:02PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

This won't be finished anytime soon. It's still where it was in the picture. But, I have decided what I want for the center and the backing and plan to stablize it a bit more before moving it off the table this week.

Sharon

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
QOTD - Re-posting others' pictures
Is there a rule, or convention, or prohibition against...
loisflan
need help with big stitch quilting
Hi. I was sure that I had started a post about this...
day2day
2015 March Block Lotto
Welcome to the March Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
toolgranny
Heart Blocks
These blocks are made up of 3 1/2" squares of...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Sponsored Products
Fusion Antique Brass Nine-Light Round Flared Two-Tier Chandelier with Mercury Gl
Bellacor
WAC Premier Halogen White Track Head for Juno Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
Alabster Rocks! Montana Twelve-Light Tall Ring Chandelier
Bellacor
Modern Designer Glass Bell Pendant Lamp
ParrotUncle
Luxury Golden Acrylic Modern Designer Pendant Lamp
ParrotUncle
Kathy Ireland Mission Hills Indoor - Outdoor Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Inverted Glass Cup Dining Room Island Lighting