Charms on Point - easy technique

geezerfolks_SharonG_FLAugust 1, 2009

This is an easy way of putting those squares on-point. They're laid out 10 across and 14 down with 17 stratigically placed blocks for the edge triangles. (I used 6" squares - 5" would be better) Cut through the triangles, rearrange the pieces and there's your on-point quilt! You do lose the points of the squares on the edges, so if that's important to you, you won't want to do this. I think I started it in 2007 and finished quilting it last night. It's 56" X 80" Another UFO bites the dust!

Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maggie_sue

Wow, that is just beautiful! Great quilt, love all the bright colors and the boarder is just perfect!

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 7:10PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thanks, maggie sue. I used a narrow border the same fabric as the edge triangles to make it look like a continuation of them so as not to notice the missing points so much. @:)

Sharon

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 8:57AM
salijo

Wouldn't making the edge triangles slightly larger (1/4"?) solve the problem of losing the points? As long as the angle stayed the same, I don't see why that wouldn't work...it would bring the bottom edge of the triangles down past the points of the squares to accommodate a seam allowance for a border, so when you add the border, the point should still be there...in theory!

Salijo

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 12:11PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Sal, The edge pieces start out as squares the same size as the other squares and are placed in the body of the quilt. If they were made larger, they wouldn't meet at the corners. It's difficult for me to explain...I'll send you a pic of the layout.

mom

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 6:03PM
rosajoe_gw

I love the colors!!! I will have to try this. Sharon I did not notice the points at all so it must be only a small amount.
Rosa

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 2:28PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thanks, Rosa. It isn't much, but it isn't a true sharp point and to some people that's important. For a drag around have fun quilt, it doesn't bother me.

Sharon

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Another feature found
So, I found another feature that I thought you a) might...
jennifer_in_va
March 2015 Quilting/Sewing Goals
Our March came in like a lamb. How about where you...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Spider Web
And I still have lots of scraps!!! The first border...
nannykins
how large is your design wall?
I was just wondering how large everyones design wall...
redpenny
Are you quilting this weekend? Feb. 28-March 1
What are you working on this week? My DD and I are...
lindaoh_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™