Quilt of American birds

biwako_of_abiJuly 30, 2006

I made this for DH, years ago, and now we have it on our living room wall. Traced the pictures from a coloring book. I quilted each square as I went along, and my only regret about this quilt is that I used some special Japanese "dyeing crayons" for the colors, so they didn't stand up as well as textile paints. After this quilt, I made two duplicates of it, using textile paints, one for my mother and one for my aunt, but I quilted those by machine to save time.

The birds are stuffed a bit extra, and I quilted all around the pictures, the lines being about 1/4" apart. I had plenty of time that summer, being on a visit to my aunt and mother, because we sat around and talked and watched TV almost all the time.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grammyp

Fabulous quilts. It must look stunning on the wall. I agree the paints hold up much better than the crayons. I have also used dyes instead of paints and they held up very well also.

beverly

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 12:23AM
glassquilt

Beautiful birds. I'd have trouble drawing one or two and you did a whole flock three times.

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 7:03AM
hoerlel

What beautiful birds. I am amazed at how life like they look. If I tried that it would look like some little kid tried their hand at coloring.
Lucy

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 7:08AM
jennifer_in_va

You are definitely an artist!! I could never and would never attempt anything like that!! It's beautiful!

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 8:05AM
wanda_va

A spectacular quilt! You are certainly a talented artist as well as quilter. Thanks for sharing!

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 8:19AM
biwako_of_abi

Thanks for the nice words, everyone. They are the more welcome because I have been looking through the pictures in the Gallery and seeing what great quilt makers there are on this forum. Your quilts are inspiring, and I am looking forward to viewing all the ones in the Gallery, bit by bit. What a treat!

The coloring book really deserves the praise for artistry. I only wish I could draw birds well. Cats and dogs are more my thing (doing leather tooling).

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 10:49AM
laurainsdca

Holy Cow! (Or maybe I should say "Big Bird!") You traces/drew all those? WOW. Gorgeous. I looked at the picture before reading yor post and just assumed they were panels.

Lovely.

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 10:50AM
teresa_nc7

Your quilts are just beautiful! I'm just awestruck. Thanks for sharing.
Teresa

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 7:13AM
biwako_of_abi

Laura in SD: Yes, to be specific, I traced them and transferred them using regular carbon paper. Then I outlined them with permanent market.

Bookmark   August 5, 2006 at 1:30AM
More Discussions
Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?
Question of the Day: What does your sewing room look...
quiltingfox
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
Trying to locate quilt pattern
I know it's been awhile since posting and I'm not sure...
Vanislegirl88
2015 February Block Lotto
(posting this a bit early so you can get a head start...
toolgranny
What should I do with these?
I picked up this jelly roll of Kaffe Fassett fabrics...
Fran Sajewicz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™