help-I have an overwhelming deck mess

loretta_2009June 9, 2009

Our deck is 8 years old. We first power washed it and stained it with Cabot semi transparent oil based stain. After having to restain it twice, I was looking to not have to do it so often. It is over 1,000 ft. with two teirs, railings etc. So I pressure washed it again, used Cabot primer on the whole deck, and painted it with Cabot solid color acrylic last summer. It took two months and $1700 to have someone HELP ME paint it. Now it is peeling everywhere. The pieces that are flaking off are right down to the wood. I am not sure what to do. Do I rent one of those Vibrating-plate sanders I have read about in previous posts? Cabot suggested use wood cleaner, deck brush, sand with 80 grit, re-prime, and two more coats. I am afraid it will just do the same thing again. I don't want to do this again next year. Please help- I'd never paint it again (two-tone, beautiful but this is crazy) to do it over, but it's already painted.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

What kind of decking is it. J.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 7:28AM
loretta_2009

Pressure treated pine

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 9:31AM
john_hyatt

Keep painting it. J.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 12:21PM
loretta_2009

J

Meaning what? Don't sand it down and use another product? Is there no hope? Is the pine really just that bad?

Loretta

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 2:49PM
tommyw

I would guess that the wood had too much moisture which caused the solid stain to lift. I would sand any loose old stain areas and use a blower to remove all dust etc. and then apply two coats of a solid color stain. I have had great success with the Behr solid color stain - holds up well and a great price. Good Luck!

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 4:26PM
john_hyatt

Pt pine that has that maney paint like finishes on it is going to have to be painted again. It would be silly to strip it down to bare wood and start again.

Yes pt pine is that bad.

Dont shoot the Mesenger Loretta!!

Just pick one, even behr,it really dosent matter just pick one and keep using it. Sanding the flakes off is a good idea but I would not do anything else but wait for good weather. J.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
Low deck and sleepers
I am installing a 200sq foot deck using reclaimed ironwood...
colingalloway
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™