Experiences with thermally modified wood decking?

cellomamaJune 15, 2010

Hi, all. We are planning to replace our teeny "builder's deck" with a larger, nicer deck but are all over the map in terms of materials. Makes the bidding process a lot more complicated.

I'm not a big fan of the look (or maintenance) of cedar. The contractors here (MN) seem to have limited experience with Ipe, and we're not sure we love the look of it. We were quite excited about one of the colors of the TimberTech XLM, but a recent Consumer Reports states that XLM had significant sagging within a year, so now we're nervous about that.

One of our contractors suggested thermally modified wood. We like the look of it, but it's the first we've heard of it and would love to hear some real-world stories.

Any one looked into this or used it? I'd love your feedback and experiences.

Thanks in advance -

Laurie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Do not belive Anything CR says involving Construstion. They are not bad far as buying a toster.

The XLM will not sag if its installed corectley.

Geting specks on the tosted wood is a real problem. I have never seen a real life project decked with it 4/5 years down the road over here or on any other site I visit. I am thinking go on and try it!! That way we would have a test case to go by. J.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Advice on new deck...On top of concrete, or remove concrete?
My wife and I are going to build a deck off of our...
Kyle502
Painting/stain lattice work
Installing new wooden lattice around my front porch....
becky556
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™