Do I need stainles steel bolts for ipe deck posts?

tadrJune 19, 2013

I am in the middle of building an ipe deck. Decking and railing are both ipe. I understand that I generally must use stainless steel fasteners with ipe, due to the staining that HDG fasteners will cause. That makes sense for the decking screws and railing screws.

But does that extend to the railing posts that are mounted inside the framing, where nobody will ever see the connection? Is there any structural reason I need to use stainless steel? I assume the stain won't creep up the post, correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Builder-Bob

Hey tadr,

Besides the staining or streaks standard screws / Fasteners will give they will also rust out and weaken over time. You want your Screws / Fasteners to last as long as the Ipe will i.e. Stainless Steel.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 3:37PM
tadr

Thanks, Builder-Bob.

In that case, any ideas where to buy stainless steel bolts? I searched around online all morning (looking at both the usual online sources and websites of local retailers - e.g., home depot, lowes, etc) and came up pretty much empty handed.

I'll need 1/2 x 6 and 1/2 x 7 1/2 hex bolts for my railing posts... lots of them. I found a few sources online that had them for $6-10/bolt, but I find it hard to believe that people actually pay that much. Am I crazy?

I already used HDG fasteners and hangers for all of the pressure treated framing, so I am not too concerned about the corrosion problem of the hardware itself, just the staining/discoloration on the ipe. This is not my "forever" house.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 3:41PM
millworkman

If your using pressure treated for the posts and framing hot dipped galvanized will be fine. Just do not use electro-galvanized nails.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 4:20PM
tadr

No, I am using 4x4 ipe for the posts, which is why I am concerned about staining. The framing is all PT, the railing posts, railing, and decking are all ipe.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 4:21PM
millworkman

Definitely use SS then. A good hardware store or a real lumberyard should be able to get them for you fairly reasonably priced. Stay away from the box stores for anything deck related in my opinion.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 8:02PM
More Discussions
Redoing my deck
My deck is in rough shape, and this is my first real...
Snowed In
Cedar VS Pressure treated porch posts
When we built our house, the contractor put in cheap...
ricksample
to ipe or not to ipe?
Folks - I'm planning to redo my front porch and would...
tim_spivak
Any experience with aluminum decking?
We're considering one of the watertight aluminum decking...
dmnmnky
Would love your input for stair/deck remodel on midcentury home!
As you can see, we inherited an interesting staircase...
Kate
Sponsored Products
Troy Barbell Fixed Pro-Style Dumbbells - Straight Handle with Rubber End Cap Mul
$194.05 | Hayneedle
Williams Credenza - Medium Medium
Joybird Furniture
BEGA | LED Garden and Pathway Bollard - 7340
$495.00 | YLighting
Spanner Lounge Chair with Arms Numbered Edition by Gus Modern
$895.00 | Lumens
Parker House - Aria Double Pedestal Executive Desk - PAH-ARI-480-3
Great Furniture Deal
Bolt Beam 5mm LED Light
Super Bright LEDs
Offset Iron Surface Bolt with Curly Handle and Decorative Base