Salad Bar Basket Weave

geezerfolks_SharonG_FLJune 29, 2007

This is #17 for this year and I finished quilting it today. The back is bright yellow fleece and I quilted it with black thread. My mom and I brainstormed and came up with the name Salad Bar for this quilt. It's veggies and fruits.....and yes, some cake, too. @:)

SharonG/FL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vicky4x4

Oh, I wish it was bigger so I could see the fabrics! It looks nice, who is it going to?

Vicky

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 6:00PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Vicky, I'll see if I can make it bigger......if this works, I'll delete the other one........there are a few fabrics with pasta, too. The blocks are 6 1/2 inches.

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 9:12PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Well, rats! It isn't much bigger.....if you want it bigger, let me know and I'll see what I can do....

This one isn't designated.....I plan to take it up north with me along with the Deere John tractor quilt and another one I have finished.

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 9:22PM
grammyp

Sharron, that is great. I gotta make a basket weave, which pattern did you use?

beverly

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 9:57PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Beverly, I didn't use a pattern....as such. Cut rectangle at 4 1/2 X 6 1/2 inches and strips at 1 1/2 X 6 1/2 inches. Sew narrow strips to long sides of rectangle so you get a 6 1/2" unfinished - 6" finished block.

QAF is having a swap of these now only they're using 30's fabric with WOW. They're calling it Granny's Basketweave Block Swap.

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 11:02PM
grammyp

I have a whole bunch from a food fabric swap. I think I will borrow your idea and use them up.

beverly

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 11:25PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Beverly, You'll have fun making it. After I had the fabric cut, I laid it beside my machine and used them as leaders and enders when sewing other blocks....it really goes fast. Hmmmmmm, I'm wondering, if a person has fat quarters, or using a width of fabric, how it would be to just sew the strips on each side and then subcut to 6 1/2"? Of course, if you're not using the same fabric more than once in the quilt, that wouldn't work. I think I want to make another one only using flowers instead of food and green instead of black. (I'm supposed to be putting my stuff away, not making more!!!!.......I just can't help myself!)

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 9:01AM
rosajoe_gw

Sharon,
I love the quilt!!! When I saw your post I immediately thought, 'what is a salad bar basket weave?' LOL
Can't wait to see the flowers. Have a great time on your vacation.
Rosa

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 2:13PM
grammyp

Ohhh, I have my big flower fabric exchange blocks, I may use them. Good idea, thanks Sharon.

beverly

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 3:36PM
love2sew

Sharon you just come up with the neatest ideas...oh big flowers would look great. We will miss your posts when you are on vacation...but have a great time!
Jean

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 4:18PM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

OK.....I got out my flower fabric last night and was looking it over......and thought to myself, "What am I doing?!" So, I put it all away....when I come home in Sept, if I remember, I'll make it then. By then, both of Beverly's will be done, food and flower, right Beverly? lol

Jean, I get my ideas from seeing other quilts on the internet. As long as I'm not breaking any copyright laws, I figure I'm ok. I plan to visit the forum thru my DD's computer, just won't have any pictures.

Rosa, Vacation......visiting with DD's, grandkids and great-grandkids. I'll be posting in Conversations before I leave, as I'm hoping to meet up with a couple members while I'm in Indiana for a couple months. WOOOHOOOOO...

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 8:22AM
kelly4905

Sharon, that is super cute!! I've saved your pic and 'pattern' to my "inspirations" folder. Thanks!

Kelly (Nebraska)

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 8:40AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Kelly, You're welcome! I'm glad to be part of your inspiration folder. @:)

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 6:57PM
new2quilting

I love food fabrics (though I'll have to do a swap to get some!). What a neat quilt and with the black background it really looks great. Thanks for the explanation of how to make the blocks, too. This is my first time checking out the gallery - you have some beautiful quilts! --Amy

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 8:41PM
glassquilt

Thanks for the dimensions. I may use it for a memory quilt or two.

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 8:32AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Thanks, Amy.

glass....you're welcome. @:) I think that's what quilting is all about.....sharing and caring.

Further down in the posts, I posted a pic of a Bright and Black top. That's the same pattern as this one only done in some small pieces of fabric I wanted to use up (mostly Batiks) instead of the food fabric.

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 8:54AM
dmsgal

I love that ! This is the first time I visited the gallery. Boy I am finding tons of great pics. and ideas. Mary in Va

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 8:26AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Mary in Va, I've gotten plenty of ideas/inspiration from pictures that have been posted, too! I think that's why we like pics!!! @:)

SharonG/FL

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 10:04AM
polardreams

I love it! I hope you don't care if I utilize your instructions for a quilt in Colorado!
Sue

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 12:33AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

Go for it, Sue!

Maybe we can have a Basket Weave thread and everyone can post a pic of their version! I like to see quilts made from the same pattern by several people and the fabrics they put together.

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 6:37AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

This quilt went to DD2's three year old foster child who only spoke Spanish when she got her. We've been using the fruit and veggies as a helper in teaching her English. DD2 also has her 12 year old sister (who speaks English) and her 5 year old brother....he got the Deere John tractor quilt and was able to learn 'tractor, deer, barn, windmill, etc. They may be going back to their mom soon but at least they'll know a little English.

SharonG/FL-IN-now in MI

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
Retreat finishes: 2013-2014
Three down...don't ask how many more to go :-)! All...
littlehelen_gw
2015 Lotto Blocks
Finished Feb. Lotto block and want to get started on...
ibquiltn4fun
How about a QOTD ????
What is your bestest, most favorite, the "I never...
beth7happy
Another feature found
So, I found another feature that I thought you a) might...
jennifer_in_va
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™