how to get stain off vinyl siding

chicagoerinJune 19, 2005

Ok, the neighborhood kid did a pretty good job staining my deck except that he got a lot of stain on my siding. What's the best way to get this off?

Thanks!

Erin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lestert

If it was a water based stain, I'd try something along the lines of "Goof Off". It's available at most hardwares and is made for removing dried latex paint.....not sure if it would work on stain, but I'd give it a try.

Bookmark   June 19, 2005 at 7:49PM
pressurepros

Stain on vinyl, once it cures is very difficult to remove. Goof Off is a good start. (any of the butyl cleaners like Krud Kutter)Watch your dwell time, you can easily make the problem worse.

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 12:23AM
kimmers71

You may want to try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I've removed permanent marker from a wood desktop with this Magic Eraser. It takes crayon off walls and doors.

It can be found by the cleaning products in any store.

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 9:05AM
dave61348

I would not use Goof Off. I had this same thing happen to me and used Goof Off and yes it did take the stain off and also took the dead layer of color off the siding. Now I have spots that look bad. I didnt realize my 7 year old siding faded that bad until this happened.

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 2:31PM
chicagoerin

Thanks much!

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 5:08PM
pdlecler

I tried Spray Nine Automotive Cleaner and it worked wonderfully. Simply sprayed on and wiped away. I even removed oil stain from 3 years ago.

Bookmark   July 24, 2005 at 10:52AM
cheerful1_gw

My painter got stain (oil-based) on my new vinyl siding last year. It didn't bother me much until we had a new back walkway installed last week. I would like to remove the stain, but not harm the stone walkway. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 9:15AM
pressurepros

Wet the walkway with water first then use one of the above mentioned cleaners. Rinse everything down when you are done.

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 9:21AM
mike4319

I desparately need to remove Pyrethrin insecticide stains from my vinyl siding. A reckless pest control technician sprayed under siding to kill ants and residual liquid ran out and stained my siding in several places.

Is there any way to remove these stains without discoloring siding from surrounding siding?

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 11:45PM
dhcphoto

I just used carb and choke cleaner that you can get anyplace that sells motor oil, etc. and the stain wipes right off with no scrubbing! Just be careful not to get it on any painted trim or downspouts as it will soften the paint.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 9:57PM
katrinek9

I tried most of these suggestions (magic eraser, goof off, pvc cleaner, acetone polish remover) and the thing that worked without warping my siding was good ol' steel wool.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:23AM
craig1721

try these steps for either vinyl siding or decking (as I did)
*latex paint -
when paint is wet: start with 100% rubbing alcohol and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag and wipe surface

when paint is dry: use 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50, with same type rag vigorously wipe

then - since paint will have been spread around (looking like a stain) - use Goo Gone (what I had) and finish the rest until clean, should be now nearly spotless

*oil-based paint -
for wet or dry oil-based paint, start with 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag, vigorously wipe surface

if stain from paint is still apparent, use Goo Gone and finish the rest until clean, nearly spotless

I tried a lot of different solutions, literally, except for those that research had informed would be ineffective for what I was doing or would damage the surface (powerwashing, abrasive scrubbing with fine steel / plastic type scrubbers)

This post was edited by craig1721 on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 16:05

Bookmark   October 18, 2014 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Gate--advice needed.
See picture below. I'm looking to wrap up a fence...
vtsteveo
2nd floor covered porch questions.
1) What is the proper technique and layers for a porch...
Molly Dunning
Staining fence
Hi, We had a picket fence installed last summer. Per...
posierosie_zone7a__
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
Can you please help educate me on this type of deck I want to build?
Background, I got a quote from a contractor on a second...
happyallison
Sponsored Products
Black Lawn & Log Cart
$79.99 | zulily
Scaffold Three Story Rolling Scaffold Tower
Beyond Stores
Arteriors Home - Ellington Lamp - 12651-155
Great Furniture Deal
French Villa Bird House - White with Brown Copper Roof
Signature Hardware
Copper Mansion Bird House - Green Whitewash with Bright Copper Roof
Signature Hardware