Hanging art on brick without drilling?

mahatmacat1April 25, 2010

Does anyone know any way to hang something that weighs about 10 lbs on our brick fireplace wall without drilling a hole? It's in the living room and I'd really prefer not to have to fix a masonry hole when we leave. I can't believe there isn't something out there that can do this. We have pretty deep groutlines, so maybe is there something that latches onto the bricks? I don't want to rest it on the mantel, I want it up higher.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mahatmacat1

O.K., so after I post I decide to search google a little more specifically and found this below. Has anyone used it? (scroll down--it's at the bottom of the page)

Here is a link that might be useful: little slap on forehead

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 2:07PM
busybee3

i have a clear plastic wreath hanger on our stone fireplace(that looks similar to the hangers in link) that would work better on brick-they're made for brick!!! just to make sure it stayed secure in the stone, i put a dab of clear epoxy on the back....has stayed tight for a couple of years and can hold easily 10lbs.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 5:00PM
mahatmacat1

Great idea, busybee--putting epoxy (or some removable adhesive maybe) on the back of it so it will definitely stay. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 5:07PM
mrsgym

I use this clamp for bricks outside and inside of the house. No drill, but you have to make sure the clamp catches a good edge of the brick.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.improvementscatalog.com

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 5:12PM
blubird

I have those brick clips holding up several things around the house. They're holding up a large (22") clock over my fireplace and also a decorative pocket vase outside on my front porch. Just as mrsgym says, you just have to make sure that the clamp catches a good edge of the brick.

Helene

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 11:12PM
mahatmacat1

Thanks, mrsgym & blubird/Helene...I looked at those but the eyes for where the hooks would have to go are too tiny for the rather thick opening, unfortunately. I've written the co. that makes the one I found earlier --maybe they're narrow enough. This piece has pre-attached eyes I have to use. But I'll remember the improvements ones for when I need them for something else. They sound strong!

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 11:31PM
amysrq

I used 3M outdoor double-stick foam tape to hang a metal piece in the patio area in Florida. I expected it to leave a mess but it came down easily when we moved. That was a painted stucco surface. I am guessing your bricks are raw. I know the stuff would hang whatever, but I am not sure how much yuck it would leave behind when you try to remove it.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 8:32AM
blubird

Flyleft,

You mentioned that the piece you wanted to hang has pre-attached eyes for hanging. Could you attach picture hanging wire between the attached eyes, then use one of the aforementioned brick hangers to suspend the piece?

Helene

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Help me find a new coffee table
Just before the Houzz migration, GWers helped me decide...
smalloldhouse_gw
Annie D. & others -- Should I say goodbye to my crystal chandelier?
I'm redecorating my dining room and am doing British...
valpogal47
Carpet only in the closet?
Would you carpet a closet when you've got hardwood...
amberm145
This is why you don't pick paint colours off the internet
This photo has been circulating the internet today....
amberm145
I need help deciding what color to paint my sofa frame
I am re-upholstering a vintage french couch, with the...
lizzierobin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™