Bluestone Patio: To Grout or not?

terrillbeanJune 28, 2006

I am building a bluetone patio in my back yard (approx 18 ft X 100 inches). I live on the seacoast of NH. I would like to avoid weeds eventually growing in the seams of the patio (square bluestone, not irregular). My contractor advises against it because of the New England weather. I also like the white lines in between. Am I wrong about this?

Terri

Hampton, NH

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carajon

I am by no means an expert, but I was told not to grout a deck b/c of frost heave. That being said, we have a patio now with the stones set in concrete that has much the smae effect, I think, as a grouted pation. It has held up fine to our upstate NY winters. The only real problem is a couple of smaller stones have come un-stuck from the concrete and we have to set them back in their spots. (The patio was in when we bought the house, so I don't know a lot about the installation).

Oh, I should mention that even with the concrete under and between the stones, little weeds manage to take root in any little, teeny, tiny crevices they can find.

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrillbean

Thanks for your response Carajon. I went to two different Stone and Masonry stores today. One store recommended "Sand Joint Stabilizer (Prosoco) which goes over the bluestone and sand in your joints and "seals" it. The second place gave me a brochure for "Stabiliz-O-Block (Sable Marco) which is the actual Polymeric Sand for paver joints. I'm going to investigate both. Oh.. and BOY is Bluestone expensive.. eeek.

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 11:23PM
More Discussions
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
question about fencing
Hi, I know this isn't a fencing forum but I couldn't...
pitpat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™