Reparing deck

ctyler4June 17, 2011

Hi everyone, I just found this forum and have a question hopefully someone can help me with. The last tenant that was renting my home decided to "work" on the deck. He cut one of the corner support post, opened a 2" gap and then spliced the post back together with an outside board. He was evicted for a million other reasons but now the whole deck is leaning backwards. I really do not want to tear it down and restart but I do need it to be safe since I rent the house out. The deck is less than 5 yrs old. Any suggestions???

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Basically you jack up the deck and replace the post. It's hard to tell from the picture but there should be a steel post base to connect the post to the concrete to prevent the post from shifting.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 7:09AM
dennisgli

I don't know who built your deck but it looks like it has serious problems with the footings/posts. Though the tenant should have obviously called you and not have tried to fix it themselves. I'd have somebody check the footings and then replace/plumb all the posts.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 10:09AM
ctyler4

Thank you both very much! I appreciate the advice! The deck had just been built when we bought the house, but it does look like we will be replacing all of the posts.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 7:28PM
tkrausch57_gmail_com

My Deck comes off my 2nd floor and was built in 87. Now the deck appears to be settling and I dought they put proper footings in to support the weight of the deck. How costly is it too just have someone raise the deck and replace the post there are about 8 that need to be reset?

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™