stripping a deck, what now!!! Please Help

truetype1June 27, 2012

I sealed my new deck with thompsons water seal advanced a few years ago. Im not happy with its performance at all. I decided to strip it and go with a cabot oil based stain instead. after multiple treatments Im not happy with the performance of the strippers. first I used a Thompsons stripper, poor performance. Then i used Behr #64 stripper. Better performance, but had to do it twice. still plenty of patches of the old Thompsons water seal. At this point what should I do. I originally used the Thompsons because I wanted to keep the natural color. Now I dont care, I just want it to look good (and clean), not dirty, splotchy and mildew ridden. Should I re-coat with a darker shade of the Thompsons? will a darker shade go over the old patches? Should I go forward with the Cabot semi-solid? Will the cabot oil based get thru the old Thompsons? Im so frustrated with this job, and I still have the railings and ballasts to get to.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deckdude2

Looks like it is almost off. I would try one more time to get the rest off. Make sure to use a wood brightener when done. There are powdered stain strippers available on the Internet. They can be mixed stronger.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 7:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CaptRandy

Look up either RipIt or HD-80 strippers,

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
deck Shade Tree canopies
Does anyone have these? How much do they cost (ballpark)?...
caflowerluver
Low deck and sleepers
I am installing a 200sq foot deck using reclaimed ironwood...
colingalloway
Venting a wood column to prevent rot
I have purchased some old wood columns that are stave...
dustynight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™