Tree Sap and Poor Results Cabot on Cedar Deck

mgrabJune 14, 2010

About 3 years ago I built a cedar deck and treated with Cabots Natural Timer Oil. I did this in the fall then lightly powerwashed and reapplied in the spring to freshen it a bit since my coverage was light in some spots looked fantastic.....then late summer hit....sap city from the pine trees in my yard. Deck looked horrible....company was visiting so I made some futile and poor attempts to power wash, scrub...started to peal. Just horrible. I think my coverage became too heavy. I have now removed 85% via powerwasher only. I have read many of the threads pro/con different brands. Anyone experience this....I'm leary to reapply Cabot's though I hear little about their product being poor....just don't want to buy something worse! As well I don't want to buy something incompatible with any residual Cabot's I can't remove.....Help.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ipedeckguide

You might want to check out this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN18up1q2GQ It is a "product" video but its pretty informative.
I have had some success removing sap stains by scraping off the bulk and then covering the sap with a cotton rag and running a hot iron over it to melt the sap so it will be absorbed by the rag. Sometimes news paper or brown paper bag works better than cloth.
This same trick can work for candle wax too
Woodrich-Brand offers a Timber Oil that is loaded with pigment and can really look nice but I prefer their Wood-Tux product in the Brown Sugar color on cedar. It has a rich bronze look to it. Their website says they only sell the Wood-Tux to contractors but I happen to know they will sell it to you if you call them. They will just tell you to be sure not to over apply it. It only takes one coat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodrich-Brand

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
Ideas for front porch needed
Hello. We bought a house that was new construction....
jsandlin0803
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Porch window WeatherMaster Sunspace vs Ez screen vs Eze breeze
I was going to screen in our covered patio but then...
webeinky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™