Composite or Wood deck railing?

lisa616June 5, 2012

I'm building a new deck..I purchased Trex decking because I got a great price. I know tree has issues, but the price was right and I will baby it...Now, I need railings and they weren't available at the clearance place I was at. I'm trying very hard to save money....I am looking at timber tech, certain teed ever new (cheapest) or possibly treated wood with aluminum balusters...any thoughts? The ever new really looks plasticy, but I guess they all do except the real thing. I'd really love some advice. Deck railing will be approx. 64 running feet.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CaptRandy

Because of warping I have seen in railings I would seer away form composites. Go with real wood and treat properly.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 12:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluejay15

Wondering what you decided for the railings? We are in the same spot. Just finished TREX for the floor/decking but plan to use pressure treated for railings and keep posts pressuretreated. We tried the BEHR solid stain that is marketed to match the TREX colors. Hate it! The stain looks like dirty brown paint. Now looking into semi-transparent stains to let some of the wood grain show through but do not want to compromise on the protection factors. Read about Ben Moore and their Abercoat clear finish (?) maybe apply that over a watered down BEHR for the color? Very confused and disappointed right now.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Can't keep porch paint from peeling
We had a complete porch and deck tear off and replaced...
zorroslw1
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
TWP and One Time stain...2 years later
I built a deck in the summer of 2009. Decking was garapa...
weedyacres
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™