Getting the 'wet' look

sacto_dianeJune 13, 2009

Not directly related to a deck but to a wood porch. I have a T&G Doug Fir covered porch on my 1912 bungalow. It's North facing and deep under an overhang so it stays dry year round and protected from the sun. I've sanded down to bare wood removing old bad paint jobs reveling beautiful old Doug Fir boards.

I refinished with Superdeck transparent penetrating oil finish and it looks great. I'd like to finish it off with something that keeps that wet semi glossy look when the oils are still wet. I don't know if something like exists for finishing exterior wood.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deckman22

The only thing that will give the "wet look" is spar eurathane made by Minwax. Only thing is it is not made for decking, but doors/siding & such. I have done it & it did look really nice for awhile, but wore off fast. You'll get a worn path & the edges will stay nice longer. Don't try the poly, it will crack & peal.

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 9:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skanman14

agreed. the helmsman spar urethane will work on spindles and rails, but is not designed to tak foot traffic. Frankly, the only floor grade exterior urethane I know of is by sikkens. Its a true marine grade urethane so It'll last, but It'll run you about 80$ a QUART. not cheap, also, this stuff is going to be real, real slippery, especially in the rain and snow, even with shark grip or some other additive it's not really safe either, just some fyi's

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
building a deck into a retaining wall
Hi all, My contractor says he can build a deck right...
oonae
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™