New Pool Build in Cypress, TX

Cypress214May 22, 2012

After two years of lurking on this web site my wife and I finally decided to put in a pool. We met with 5 builders and ultimately decided to go with Kelly (Atlantis Pools and Spas). The specs of the pool are as follows:

44 x 22

3'5' to 8'

Jandy Equipment w/ Aquapalm

3 Jandy LED Lights in Pool/ 1 LED in Spa

Rainbow 320 Chlorinator

Moss Rock 4 ton waterfall with rock wall weepers

9'x7' raised spa with 7 jets

Tanning Shelf with 2 bubblers & flagstone star

450' new decking (acrylic lace spray coating)

Flagstone inlay in decking

Flagstone Coping

Luna Quartz Aruba Interior Finish

Kelly came out and sprayed the lines on Saturday May 12th

They came to dig early Sunday morning on May 13th

Plumbing and Rebar on Monday May 14th

Thanks to a rain delay we had to reschedule Gunite from Tuesday May 15th to Thursday May 17th.

We have been watering the gunite since then and waiting for the next step.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NewLKNPool

This looks AWESOME!! You are going to love your LED Lights... they were out of my price bracket, but I have heard good things about them!!

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 8:08PM
Nalai

Your gonna love it!
we are almost done with ours and we couldn't be happier

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 10:50PM
memama_gayle

I really like the layout of your pool. I think it is going to be sooo much fun!

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 5:59PM
Cypress214

They came and trenched the yard yesterday for the piping. I will update with some more pics tomorrow.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 8:31AM
Cypress214

Ready for the plumbing

Equipment set

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 9:13AM
harrison00

We are in the process of designing our pool and are curious what your estimates have been.

Thanks

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 9:26AM
Cypress214

Estimates ranged from $50-60K

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 11:53AM
Cypress214

Electrical was started last night and they should be finishing that up today.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 8:12AM
Nalai

Are you planing on maintaining your pool yourself or hiring out?

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 9:34AM
Cypress214

We are planning on maintaining the pool ourselves. Electrician never came back so here are the pictures for this week, hardly any progress:

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 11:33AM
bruce_poolguy

Don't quite understand the two pumps being plumbed together to the filter ?
Ask your builder whats up with that ?

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 12:44PM
Nalai

How are you planing on maintaining it? Pucks, liquid, adding salt gen?

we are also amintaining ours, I'm just currious to see what choices others are making.

By the By ours gets full sun from 9am-7pm makes for warm water.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 12:03AM
Cypress214

Nalai- I want to see what Kelly recommends. I'm sure it will be pucks in the chlorinator at first. I have read that they raise your CYA levels so we might convert to liquid once we get things figured out. No salt gen for us. Did you get a decent pool school from Kelly?

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:34AM
Nalai

we are still wrapping up, trying to get the new windows phone to give up the nice pictures of the finished pool.

There are 2 things left on out punch list before pool school. But I'm an avid reader and read the Pool School section of TFP before I comited to building the pool.

Kelly says that's the way he maintains his pool.

The pool has been HEAVEN! Spent Saturday putting up a pergola and staining my kids jungle gym, then jumped in the pool and it was like AHHHHH!

You guys getting close?

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 5:34PM
Cypress214

They finished electrical yesterday and tile/stone is scheduled for this week. We are getting there. What was your total build time from start to finish?

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 8:22AM
Nalai

Well we technically aren't finished as there are a few things left on the punch list.

but from dig -> swim it was about 5 weeks a little quick but it's been a blessing.

what kind of coping/tile are you going with?

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 11:29AM
Cypress214

We chose an Oklahoma Wister flagstone coping that has a lot of darker colors in it. We also selected the Noble Tile NWPI 650 Mariana Green for the waterline. It is mostly an earth tone color with a small hint of emerald green and blue. Kelly has them scheduled to start that work tomorrow.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 12:02PM
Nalai

Becareful of the darker color stone, it gets HOT in the sun. Our travertine which I don't consider "dark" well the darker pieces get really hot durring the day.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 11:55PM
Cypress214

Our original flagstone was too thin so our pool builder had to pick another selection that would be better for the coping.

The waterline tile compliments the flagstone

They grouted in the tile yesterday and finished the spillway on the spa. I hope to come home to the small rocks on the back wall and hopefully the stone has been delivered for the waterfall.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 9:20AM
poolguynj

WRT to the two pumps feeding the filter, I am sure it was for pressure testing, not for general operation.

Scott

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 11:12AM
MSdiva4life

Love your pool...I too am building my first pool and I am stuck on the finish.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 6:35PM
huskyridor

Nalai and Cpypress214, thanks for signing with us!!!
Mark told me that at pool school today you had lots of pictures of 214's pool. I just hit the shop and logged into the forum to see if his pool build was on the board.
I feel terrible about not getting into here more often as I used to frequent it a least 3 or 4 times weekly and now am lucky to get here once a month. After my lengthy spell away due to some conflict with the board and getting back aboard again I've been mostly hanging on the forums with my Motorcycle racing and Cigarette boat buddies. I'm going to make it a point to come in at least 2 or 3 times a week again.
When I've been in I've seen that other long term member industry professionals have been answering the questions the newer members have had. I've probably only made 3 or 4 posts in the past couple of months and they've been design related questions.
I didn't even know there was a thread on 214's pool build going.
I got a great laugh when I was reading the chronological dates of his build in progress.
WHY is it that in the off season I can never get a member to follow his/her build on the board with pictures to see our better turn times???
It's the same way every busy season, A member will post a thread when I've got 13 pools going at the same time and start an ongoing construction thread, LOL!!!

MSdiva, don't get stuck on a pool finish. Do a little research and you'll discover that PebbleTec and WetEdge are the best 2 on the market. I just did an AWESOME polished Hydrazzo finish. It's an excellent product too, but it's more sensitive to poor water chemistry than the pebbled pool finishes for staying attractive over the long haul of many years in service.

Bruce, poolguyNJ is correct. I plumb all my piping to a common manifold for a pressure test after plumbing and then cut it out at startup.

Hopefully I can reel 214's pool back in line and get a grip on some forward progress over there. We've been very busy and have suffered through a few days of adverse weather here and there which really slows us down on all the jobs.

See ya,
Kelly

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 7:45PM
Cypress214

Love to see this

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 6:00PM
memama_gayle

looks great!

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 7:19PM
Cypress214

It rained this week so no progress. So tired of the mess and ready for this project to be completed. I pray Kelly will knock it out in the next week.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 4:07PM
Cypress214

Look who has decks!!

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 8:39AM
twingle

Your pool is beautiful!! Hope you are able to swim in your new pool on the 4th of July!!

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 1:34PM
Cypress214

Thanks twingle but the rain has done a good job of preventing any progress. The spray deck was put down end of last week and we are scheduled for plaster this Friday. We just need this rain to stay away!

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 4:40PM
Cypress214

Pool was finished in Aruba Luna Quartz on Friday and pool was filled by Saturday afternoon. They start-up the equipment today and I can't wait to see the water when it clears up.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:33AM
Cypress214

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:44AM
Cypress214

Some pics with the water fresh and blue. We love the Luna Quartz Aruba color.

Our Kelly Star on the sun shelf

My wife added the star in the spa

The sidewalk was also a nice addition to help keep grass and dirt out of the pool when guests show up.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 6:30PM
texgirl1

Love your pool... can you please share with my your tile color and manufacturer? I really like it!! Thanks, KIM

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 9:12PM
Cypress214

Texgirl1- sorry for the late reply. The tile color is Noble NWPI 650 Mariana Green and can be found here:
http://www.nobletile.com/pacific.html

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 4:25PM
bebe51

We are about to use Luna quartz Aruba on our pool. Were you able to see the finish on another pool before you chose that color. I love your pictures but it is so hard to tell the true color due to the different computers. Would you describe the color as more blue, or green. Thanks so much, this is such a hard decision to make.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 1:15PM
Cypress214

I would certainly describe it as a light blue in the sunshine with the quartz sparkling. In the shade the blue is a darker more lagoon look. We did not get a chance to see the color in person prior to selecting it but I would not change a thing.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:53AM
More Discussions
Forty year facelift: OKC pool renovation
Hi everyone! I've been chronicling our pool renovation...
MiaOKC
Is it safe to build a vinyl inground with pyrite in the soil?
I have been trying to find information about excavating...
jo229
Pool Filter Question
Should my pool filter run 24/7 or less than that? I...
JeremyLin
Looking for opinions on pool companies South Jersey...
Also, suggestions for whether people liked their tanning...
Karyn Kettleman Van Buskirk
New Pool Build Conroe TX
We're very excited to get started on our new pool with...
kands
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™