a little help with a merlin cover install on paver deck

nypoolnoviceMay 6, 2011

I'm getting ready to install a travertine paver deck around our gunite pool. I have a Merlin cover, it came with the 15" tubes to drive into to subgrade. A neighbor happes to be having a vinyl pool installed now, and I was talking to their project manager. He recommended placing a 1 foot wide ribbon of concrete, 4 inched thick or so, all around the circumferenct of the pool where the cover anchors would be. Then after I core drill the travertine, I would use a hammer drill to get through the concrete. This would provide a solid substrate for the anchors, and take lateral stress off of the deck.

Is this necessary, or overkill? I could see the benefit for a vinyl pool, but for gunite, I'm not sure.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

No need. I do recommend adding 24" lengths of #5 rebar for inside the pipes though. This gives the pipes a better grab should they rise up over the winter. The wind can cause this to happen and I have found the rebar tends to reduce this and when it does, the added length of the rebar hold on to more earth. The anchor in pipe can then be tapped back down to deck level.

Put some wear padding under the cover. Travertine is somewhat soft and the cover's undulations tends to create a wear mark where the webbing meets the deck.

Scott

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 6:40AM
More Discussions
changing pool filter
I AM TOLD BY MY POOL SERVICE THAT MY FILTER IS TOO...
rudnick
Baffled by my pool- peeling skim coat?
Hi all! My in ground concrete pool is leaking... I...
sabine77
Looking for advice on indoor pool filter and pump
Hi, I've spent time reading over the archives, but...
gwgjr33
Pool heater shutting off after 90 degrees F.
Hello! I have a pentair minimax 200M for my pool spa/combo....
tcornell05
Looking for Pool Builder recommendations in Pasadena, CA
We are starting to evaluate contractors but can't find...
julieleek
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™