a little help with a merlin cover install on paver deck

nypoolnoviceMay 6, 2011

I'm getting ready to install a travertine paver deck around our gunite pool. I have a Merlin cover, it came with the 15" tubes to drive into to subgrade. A neighbor happes to be having a vinyl pool installed now, and I was talking to their project manager. He recommended placing a 1 foot wide ribbon of concrete, 4 inched thick or so, all around the circumferenct of the pool where the cover anchors would be. Then after I core drill the travertine, I would use a hammer drill to get through the concrete. This would provide a solid substrate for the anchors, and take lateral stress off of the deck.

Is this necessary, or overkill? I could see the benefit for a vinyl pool, but for gunite, I'm not sure.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

No need. I do recommend adding 24" lengths of #5 rebar for inside the pipes though. This gives the pipes a better grab should they rise up over the winter. The wind can cause this to happen and I have found the rebar tends to reduce this and when it does, the added length of the rebar hold on to more earth. The anchor in pipe can then be tapped back down to deck level.

Put some wear padding under the cover. Travertine is somewhat soft and the cover's undulations tends to create a wear mark where the webbing meets the deck.

Scott

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 6:40AM
More Discussions
Need help with sealing gunite to rock, and black alge
Hey friends! I purchased a house last summer in Houston,...
Klint Turney
New Pool in Louisiana
Wanted to share a few pictures of our new pool. It...
trhought
Pools
I would really like to know what kinds of materials...
zthal24
Obsessing over pool finishes
Hello all, I am looking for any and all advice on pool...
megankheaps
My pebble sheen finish is so uneven...
Our pebble sheen finish was completed on January 1st...
Susan Scearce
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Hampton Bay Midili 44 in. Indoor Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan
Home Depot
Shagadelic Purple 18-Inch Chenille Twist Double Sided Pillow
$26.95 | Bellacor
Peyton Outdoor Ottoman with Cushion, Patio Furniture
$876.00 | FRONTGATE
Side By Side Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Darlee Monterey Counter Height Swivel Bar Stool - 301110-7CH
$359.99 | Hayneedle
Flora Cool Grey Wallpaper R1196, double roll
Walls Republic
People viewed this after searching for: