Decking Newbie Questions: Planning
We are replacing an inherited, rotten PT deck with a PT frame, cedar decking deck. A few details:
- 20x16', 5' elevation. PT framing/rails.
- 45 degree diagonal cedar deck boards, picture framed.
- bay window is an outcropping that hangs over the deck. The framing will attach to a flat wall.
1. We found a heat exhaust outcropping along/notched into the ledger board after tearing the deck down. Is this a problem? Do we need to build the framing above/below this? Re-route the exhaust vent?
2. Deck boards: 2x6 or 5/4 cedar? I have read conflicting reports on which will warp sooner. Also, are all 2x6 cedar deck boards fairly square and unrounded like their 5/4 counterparts?
3. What is your experience with concrete drying time? We've read it will take 4-7 days to set and need to have it done before my father comes to visit to help us do the construction.
4. Undermounting - we are looking for a simple installation that preserves the surface of the deck. We are intrigued by the CAMO deck system, which basically gives you a tool to drill into the sides of the board instead of the top.
Any other recommendations from your experience?