what type of stain for Angelim Pedra deck?

silvercanadianJune 17, 2011

We take possession of our new house next week and the builder is in the process of building our deck. I chose Angelim Pedra wood for the deck base and they are using an undermount system to attach to the joists.

I like the current colour of the wood and wouldn't mind keeping it that way. The deck is in the south east corner of the house and it's a corner lot with the side of the house facing south, so this deck will get sun all day and it disappears in the evening.

Can anyone recommend a stain to use on this wood? If I use something clear, will I need to redo it every year? The guy at the store where the decking was purchased, recommended oiling it. Any advantages/disadvantages to doing that?

Our deck at our current house is cedar and faces the same direction. I used a supposed high-quality Sikkens stain and I am not impressed with it. This is the 2nd time I haven't been impressed with Sikkens (used it prior to this on a fence) so won't purchase Sikkens again unless for some reason it works stellar on Angelim Pedra.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvercanadian

Oh, geez, and after looking around some more, maybe I should have put this in the "Paint" forum? Is there mods who will move this if I have it in the wrong section?

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 2:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvercanadian

To update for anyone searching this topic, we chose SuperDeck Exotic Hardwood Stain. The application was very easy and it looks nice; the wood looks like it does when it's wet now which everyone in our family loved more than the look when it was dry. :)

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Advice on new deck...On top of concrete, or remove concrete?
My wife and I are going to build a deck off of our...
Kyle502
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
resurface the deck?
Does anyone have experience with this product for resurfacing...
windymess z5
Gravel/Crushed Rock for a Patio
We are in the process of purchasing a house in Boynton...
splais
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™