Soliciting Deck Ideas

sopanJune 3, 2009

Hi,

I need some advice regarding a new deck. We just moved into a new home and found out that our builder is building a small 9x9 deck for us. This deck is under construction as I write this. I would like to increase the size of this deck and would like to solicit some advice. I have included a picture of the house with half built deck and some creative markings of my ideas.

What I was thinking was to expand the deck directly outwards away from the home going towards the back property line. This will give the kids some area to play. The expansion would be on another level and maybe step or two below the builderÂs deck. The size of the new deck (excluding the builders 9x9) would be 9x17. I was thinking that there would be no railings between the builderÂs deck and the new deck, just wide steps (length of the deck). The lower deck would then open up to the backyard (from one side only and there would be wide (length of the deck) step or two.

I was thinking that maybe we should have two benches 4 and 6 feet each on each side of the 9x17 railings. Also, 3 planter box on the side of the deck which opens up to the backyard, one on each corner and one in the middle. At some point, I would add trees on the property line to create some privacy from side and back neighbors

Since I have never had a deck or a patio for that matter, I was hoping someone can give come constructive criticism of this plan.

Also wondering if someone can give an idea of cost of something like this?

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
riles_j

I think what you talking about doing sounds reasonable. When I first looked at this I was thinking it might be nice to wrap the deck around the back, but you would have be careful with how it interfaces with the bay window.

How big is your yard? What do you plan on doing in the yard? Do you have any sort of landscaping plan? I think you would be advised to come up with an overall plan to make sure everything works together. When I was designing my deck I hired a landscape designer to make sure that I wasn't overlooking something and that I wouldn't regret my deck decision. It cost me only $300 and I thought it was definitely worth it. They had some great insight into the big picture and I was able to tweak my design a bit. Just a thought.

Riles

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 10:32PM
srercrcr

There was plenty of natural landscaping including trees until the developer scRAPED the whole area to a void of vegetation. Looks like another Toll Bros disaster. Where did the birds and butterflies go to?

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 7:06AM
john_hyatt

Srecr, get your left wing silly ass back over to the diet watercress site. J.

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 1:15PM
tool_fool

If the birds and butterflies flew up your ass you'd know where they went.

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 10:02PM
srercrcr

If you find a square box sitting on a scRAPED piece of land with no greenery attractive, I feel sorry for you.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 1:39PM
tool_fool

There is a happy medium for people to co-exist with trees and even butterflies. You strike me as a dipsh*t hippie who blames advancing civilation for every problem we have. Meanwhile, you stroke the keys on your computer without a thought about what timber, electricity, plastic and humans do to improve your very life. At least that's how you strike me. I could be WAY off though.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 2:40PM
john_hyatt

Naaaa this guy likes to highlight rape probley just some fagmonkey with nothing else to do. It knows nothing about building or decks just likes to hang around and post stupid stuff. These trols are normal on any site. J.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Gemini Restore-A-Deck vs Woodrich Cleaner/Brightener
It's been awhile for me on this forum but I remember...
mike13
Staining fence
Hi, We had a picket fence installed last summer. Per...
posierosie_zone7a__
Pictures of large 2nd story decks??
We will be building a deck soon and are looking for...
Sarah Brennan
What is the best composite?
I have been reading this forum for awhile as we are...
martina_21
new aluminum decking install 2014
We have an elevated 570sqft deck about 10ft above grade....
k_rider
Sponsored Products
Accent Rug: Marlow Black Aureo 3' 4" x 5'
$29.97 | Home Depot
Mini 5-foot Indoor/ Outdoor Cedar Pine Tree
Overstock.com
Uttermost Sedilo 20" Wide 3-Light Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Mocha Quartz Composite Single Bowl Undermount / Drop In Kitchen Sink - 33 x 21 x
eModern Decor
Oil Rubbed Bronze Whitehaus 614.453TF Blairhaus Tub Filler with Shower Head
$399.00 | Blue Bath
Williamsburg Christmas Garland Christmas Decor
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Casual Luxury Semi-Flushmount by Feiss
$200.00 | Lumens
Isabet 'W' Throw Pillow
$27.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™