Aquabrite polythermal coating from Carlton

fiftyfordMay 25, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with the Aquabrite polythermal coating from Carlton Pools?

I have a 32 year old Carlton painted concrete shoulder pool that needs repainting. My understanding is that the original paint is no longer available, and that the current paints are problematic (don't stick well, don't last long). Carlton is recommending this Aquabrite product that can extend out of the water and over the shoulder.

Thanks,

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poolguynj

I hate paint on pools. It winds up costing homeowner more in the long run than even just plain plaster.

Whats done is done though so the main question is what type of paint was used before. If this is unknown, then it MUST be sand blasted off. There are different types of paint for pools. Add that to the fact the transportation laws changed and that caused a change in the paint formulas. Some paints can cover other paints.

The use of two, dissimilar paints will wind up with poor results.For example, a pool that has chlorinated rubber paint cannot be repainted with epoxy paint. It would fall off in short order.

Properly prepared surfaces stick just fine. The rep at Carlton is full of bologna. I have to wonder how many pools he has done, soup to nuts.

Read the following linky. I have used their products and Sau-Sea products with good results. Cheap is what you get if you go with cheaper stuff. Doing it twice always costs someone and painting a pool is no exception.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Olympic's tutorial.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Basement pool - How to prepare the room?
With some slight modifications to my garage (dropping...
Alex House
blue stone pool deck
I live in Utah and am building a traditional east coast...
holly6
Plaster mottling???
It's been 13 days since we had the pool replastered....
lisadlu
What pump are you using?
We have a 30,000 gal gunite in ground pool with a small...
lindamarie
Need new pool filter help
I don' t mind spending the money for a good pool pump...
echooooo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™