polymeric sand to fill in concrete expansion joints

two_munkeysJune 3, 2009

Has anyone done this? How does it look? What is the longevity? Can it be sealed along with the concrete? I know I could use caulking, but I don't think that looks very good. The application is for our large stamped concrete patio, but I'm tempted to do the driveway also.

The ants/anthills are ridiculous this year and I'm tired of battling them. I'd like to take care of this problem once and for all. (Ok, once for the year at least!).

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
riles_j

Expansion joints should have some sort of expansive material to allow for movement between the pieces of concrete. Your best bet is use some backer rod and silicone joint sealant. The backer rods purpose is just to save money on sealant. The sealant will actually serve adhere to the concrete and expand and contract with the slabs. The sealant should keep moisture and ants/dirt out of the joint.

Riles

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 10:20PM
two_munkeys

Thank you for your reply.

I realized after I posted that I used the wrong term. I meant the saw cuts, not expansion joints. Does that change the answer?

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 10:56AM
riles_j

These control joints should not be effected by putting the polymeric sand in them. Their sole purpose is to create a weakened plane in the concrete to control the cracking. I have never seen the polymeric sand used in this manner. Maybe someone else will chime in. I would think silicone or some other crack sealant would be more appropriate. Have you checked whats available at the local home improvement store?

Riles

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 1:40PM
john_hyatt

Hold on ya little Buckaru....this whole thing is about Ants???

If so no amount of anything placed into the expand joints is going to help. You need to drift on over to the home depo and get>>>>>Terro ant killer

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
Cement tiles on raised deck?
As a result of home renovations, I will be raising...
swguru
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Best material for a covered porch flooring
Hi all. I need to replace a covered porch floor...again....
Mags438
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™