'What I did on my summer vacation'
Do you remember returning to school and writing an essay about what you did during the summer? Here's what I did:
* Helped hubby design his pole barn. We made it look like a pretty yellow carriage house with white barn doors and black hardware. (We had someone else do all the actual work.)
* Went through my closet and got rid of all the clothes that I don't wear for one reason or another. Donated them to charity. Decluttered the storage closet in the basement, and most of the rest of the house, too.
* Worked in the veggie garden, and on landscaping this place. We are using organic methods to establish a lawn and a wind break. The sand burr population has been decimated.
* Tried a lot of new recipes. My favorite sources are Joy of Cooking (it's a book), allrecipes dot com and America's Test Kitchen, which publishes a magazine and also has a website. (Also see the recipes from forum members.href>)
* Attended two family reunions.
* Went to the family cottage for a weekend of rest, but ended up doing maintenance! Several things broke down while we were there. At least I got to do a lot of hand sewing during the car ride there and back.
* Attended a fabric dying class.
* Attended a class where we made custom fitted pants patterns for ourselves. All my life (even when I was thin) pants have always had a huge gap at the waist. Now I'll be able to make myself pants that fit!
* To further that goal, I bought a serger: the Husqvarna 936, which can also convert to do the "cover stitch." Took the orientation classes. Now I need to make some time to play with my new toy -- I mean, tool.
* Went to Ikea to get tables and a bookcase for my sewing studio. (The next phase will be free-standing closets for my stash.)
* Completed several hand sewing projects, including a UFO that I hand quilted on and off for years. I'm currently finishing up an embroidered cube that will be a pin cushion.
* Received an invitation to enter a local quilt show. It is not judged. It's just supposed to be for fun.
* Finally went to one of the local quilt guild meetings. Wow, what a great lecture the guest speaker gave. Donated some unused stuff to the "garage sale." Brought home some fabrics to make a charity quilt for the local safe house. I plan to join the guild next year.
What kind of fun and interesting things did you get to do during your summer? I'd love to hear all about your new adventures.