dog urine/wooden decks

yoyopaJune 1, 2008

I am in the process of designing my small, concrete backyard/patio. It is a rowhome in the middle of a large metropolitan city. The yard is concrete, very small, and surrounded by the walls of other houses, so it is private and self-contained. I am planning Ipe deck with benches and planters. My concern is that I have two dachshunds. Is Ipe resistant to dog urine? What about if it runs through the planks onto the concrete? Are there processes I could apply to prevent any smell? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aidan_m

Not a good idea to let animals pee anywhere you can't clean up. You will end up with a sanitation issue if the urine collects on a concrete slab right under the deck. What about ventilation? Are you planning on building the Ipe deck on sleepers over a concrete slab?

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 12:02PM
yoyopa

Thanks. There will be ventilation. I'm just concerned that even with ventilation, there will still be a smell. Right now,
I use bleach if the dogs go - they are elderly dogs, used to a large backyard, they go on walks but sometimes they have to go out back. And I'm afraid they can't be trained to use the breezeway.This query is precautionary.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 12:21PM
aidan_m

Don't use bleach on wood it breaks down the fibers

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 1:01PM
homebound

Yes, there certainly will be smell. I've lived in a city rowhome where neighbors had dogs and a concrete yard, and cleaned and hosed frequently. It's only a matter of time before that sickly urine smell permeates the air, esp. in the summer months. This vividly brings back bad olfactory memories - as if it were only yesterday. Yuck.

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 10:18AM
carolina_prowash

Ipe is not immune to dog pee...it will stain it and it will smell. If you really want Ipe and you really have to let the doggies go.....use Ipe tiles that you can take up and clean regularly (but as aidan said - not with bleach, you'll ruin the wood) - or just wait. Is there a drain in the concrete?

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 9:16PM
yoyopa

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. I have decided on putting up a small deck over the cellar door that will flatten and utilize the space (the cellar access is sloped and cannot be used as a gathering spot); the deck itself will provide an access panel. The rest of the backyard will be a patio with concrete or pavers. I'm hoping this is the best solution.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 5:44AM
More Discussions
removing deck stain from vinyl siding
Greeting GW: I just re-stained my deck with BEHR PREMIUM...
thew60
to ipe or not to ipe?
Folks - I'm planning to redo my front porch and would...
tim_spivak
2nd floor covered porch questions.
1) What is the proper technique and layers for a porch...
Molly Dunning
Staining fence
Hi, We had a picket fence installed last summer. Per...
posierosie_zone7a__
Buckling Deck and Hidden Fasteners
I've got a deck that has expanded to the point of buckling....
ruben_d
Sponsored Products
Jocelyn Bronze Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Remer by Nameeks N86US Single Handle Pull Down Kitchen Faucet - REMER N86US
$609.98 | Hayneedle
River City Clocks Indoor/Outdoor 18 in. Wall Clock with Hygrometer & Thermometer
$111.30 | Hayneedle
Westinghouse Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Textured Black Cast Aluminum Exterior Wal
$34.52 | Home Depot
Indoor/Outdoor White and Grey Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$165.00 | Bellacor
Stylish VIGO Stainless-Steel Pull-Out Spray Kitchen Faucet with Deck Plate
Overstock.com
Westinghouse Wall Mounted 1-Light Brushed Nickel on Solid Brass Steel Exterior
$34.00 | Home Depot
Fashion Bed Group Westminster Queen
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™