OT - Looming Hurricane!?!

K8OrlandoAugust 22, 2012

I know a lot can happen between now and landfall so I shouldn't be worried. But if you were standing where this little red man is standing (it's right over my house) and you saw the track of Isaac, wouldn't you be a little nervous? I feel like it's headed right for us!

I guess I better get more batteries for the flashlights and some hand sewing ready in case we lose power. I just saw the evening update though and it looks like it's headed more towards Tampa now than Orlando. Hunker down, WestCoasters!

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_c_gw

Stay safe Kate!

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 11:30PM
polardreams

Take care, Kate! ... and the rest of you in Florida!

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 11:58PM
quiltnhen

Good idea to be prepared. Stay safe!

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 12:12AM
toolgranny

Hunker down best you can. Now I understand the term "storm cellar". Rush to the store for lots of chocolate and alcohol. And, maybe extra water.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 12:25AM
magothyrivergirl

Yes Kate-please prepare. And all those in Isaac's path.
It is suppose to hit Tampa, but the cone of the storm is very damaging. Tropical Storms cause Major damage.
Buy alot of ice. Gas up ALL vehicles, and your portable gas cans. Buy Clorax to have on hand. Prepare your camping gear
Before it hits - fill all your bathtubs with water - pool water is great to flush - but if it blows out of your pool....
Your hands will be shaking to much to do hand work :)
Getting thru a Hurricane or Tropical Storm is a long process. It rattles your soul and your house!

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 8:37AM
msmeow

Kate, those storms rarely make it this far inland (the year we had 3 in a row was the ONLY time in my entire life I can remember more than one storm in a season making it to Orlando), but it's still good to be prepared. :)

Toolgranny, you made me laugh...that year we had all the storms I was at the grocery store right before one of them, and the checkout lines were full of mostly young people (20s maybe) loaded up with beer and chips. LOL

Donna

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 8:54AM
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL

The West Coast is my area....north of Tampa about 70-80 miles. DH is flying out of Sanford/Orlando on Sunday and Holly is taking the cat to her house. Have had standing water at the back of the house and in his greenhouse for weeks but he said the mosquitoes haven't been really bad.

We fly back on Sept 2nd so will miss all the hoopla and parties. I've had enough hoopla the last week to last me for a long time but looking forward to seeing the Geezer Guy on Sunday.

SharonG/FL-IN

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 9:17AM
littlehelen_gw

Kate, I told u what to...your room is ready, DH can play golf, we can quilt, dogs/ cats can do what they do best.... Sleep!

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 9:40AM
K8Orlando

Sometimes running away is the best option!

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 11:33AM
nanajayne

Take care and keep your fingers crossed but be prepared. Thinking of you.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 11:52AM
rosajoe_gw

Boy do I remember having those back to back, and the one that turned around and came back, hurricanes.

Our electric was restored before my daughters and we had the 2 DGDs. We were at the point of having to buy new undies for them cause we couldn't wash lol!!!!

Stay safe everyone!
Rosa

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 12:19PM
magothyrivergirl

I am an expert at living with no electricity - 4 days is the max - then I get stretched to my limits.

Usually, I cook something - almost always get a Rotisserie chicken as an emergency. Cooked main courses do keep in the cooler.

We always buy extra beer - when it is wintertime we stick it outside, but must be vigilant not to let it freeze.

I'll be watching - everyone check in please.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 1:43PM
loisflan

Take care, all you Florida residents. We'll be thinking of you. As Marsha said - please check in.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
2015 April Block Lotto
Welcome to the April Block Lotto! The lotto is open...
polardreams
Are you quilting this weekend? March 20-22
I hope to spend a lot of time in my sewing room this...
lindaoh_gw
Q for you re blue jean quilts
A group of ladies and myself will be making quilts...
bev2009
2015 Block Lotto At a Glance
This is going to be a long post, so apologies in advance...
polardreams
Heart Blocks
These blocks are made up of 3 1/2" squares of...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™