ATO Drying Time/Messmers

andersogJune 23, 2010

Just finished staining my mahogany porch, however halfway through I ran out of the Messmer's UV which I have used for several years (I typically clean/stain every 2 years). Unfortunately I had no choice but to mix in some Cabots ATO, and by the end I'm sure I was using mostly all ATO.

The porch looks great, however 36 hours later I still have wet spots. I tried to brush some of them out, however I don't have access to all parts as its the floor.

Any advice or similar experiences with ATO? I never had the issue with Messmers, although I must point out the Messmers gallon I used was prior to the VOC law changes, whereas the ATO I had purchased was after it.

Separately, as I had success with the Messmers I may try them again next time. Has anyone used the low VOC Messmers on hardwoods with success?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjh5

I use ATO and the low VOC version is easier to over-apply, especially on hardwoods that don't absorb much to begin with. That is probably what happened. The usual recommendation is to wet a rag with mineral spirits and rub it on the tacky areas. You may need to do this quite vigorously. It happened to me and the mineral spirits did help.

Marty

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 8:18AM
andersog

Thanks Marty. Its been 3 days now and it finally is pretty much all dry, although still tacky in a few spots. I got lucky as it rained mid-way through, but the water beaded up and didn't seem to leave any splotches.

How long does your ATO last? My porch is covered however part of it does get a decent amount of afternoon sun. I've read previously that ATO would only last a year at most, however I did get 2 years of coverage from my Messmers.

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 8:30AM
mjh5

I would expect you to do at least as well with ATO as with Messmers. My deck is Ipe. What typically happens is that the first time staining new wood the stain fades rapidly over a few months. The next stain lasts a lot longer as there is less natural oil at the surface of the wood over time so stain absorbs better. The last time I stained it I was able to go two years on an uncovered, sunny deck. The finish faded but in a uniform way so it still looked ok. I did have to wash it in the Spring with a mild bleach/soap solution to deal with mildew and dirt.

Marty

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 3:28PM
More Discussions
My partially completed Ipe deck, I got some questions...
Ok so I researched Ipe for a while and finally got...
jjd95
Deck with no door to interior of the house?
I would love to build a deck off the back of our house...
Lowri de Jager
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Ipe vs. Thermory
First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark...
lmgch
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™