Can't decide between black leathered or giallo ornamental granite

mommamouroMarch 27, 2013

We have started our kitchen renovation and I am still undecided on the countertops! We are doing white cabinets and wood tile floor. Our walls are blonde by Sherwin Williams. I am undecided between black leathered granite and giallo ornamental. I really like the matte finish of the black leathered (cambrian black), but am wondering if I will regret the strong contrast with the white cabinets. I like the warmth of the giallo ornamental but never pictured myself with shiny, patterned countertops. Any opinions? The look I like is modern farmhouse--we are doing a farmhouse sink and have many antique decorations from my grandparents--old bottles, crocks and even a sellers cabinet. We have an open floor plan, decorated with yellow, red and warm green. We also have a large farmhouse table with benches (8 kids).

I would love advice on making this decision!

Thanks!

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teachertile

Why not a leathered giallo ornamental, so something similar? We saw several different slabs that had the leathered finish. I think you should stay away from black to bring warmth to your space. That's what I would do anyway.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:30PM
SparklingWater

Leathered cambrian black is very nice and a black and white kitchen is classic; just check houzz for comments and photos.

Having seen giallo ornamental-a beautiful stone, I do wonder if I would like the patterned seam as much as that of a leathered black. jmo. good luck.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:42PM
ellendi

I have giallo ornamental and I can't imagine it in a leather finish. To me the leather finish looks best with the solids.
It is an interesting look, but not very popular. I am wondering too if dust, fingerprints crumbs show more on this type of finish. I can tell you that with my giallo, I have to skim the surface with my hand because it hides the crumbs well.
I agree that black and white is a classic look, but you have to like it. Have you thought about your backsplash? That may guide you in one direction or another.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Kitchen layout, updated
Revised layout:
edwardshome
Nobody does drop-in sink on stone countertop? Really?
I know... undermount is more popular these days --...
mudworm
Review our Kitchen Remodel
We are starting our first kitchen remodel and I wanted...
miraspasov
36" cabinet for 32" fridge: future proofing or too much compromise?
Hi everyone! Making final decisions for our cabinet...
kiwigem
Terracotta versus porcelain versus ???? for floors
Would love to have input on what to use for the floor....
sayde
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™