Can't decide between black leathered or giallo ornamental granite

mommamouroMarch 27, 2013

We have started our kitchen renovation and I am still undecided on the countertops! We are doing white cabinets and wood tile floor. Our walls are blonde by Sherwin Williams. I am undecided between black leathered granite and giallo ornamental. I really like the matte finish of the black leathered (cambrian black), but am wondering if I will regret the strong contrast with the white cabinets. I like the warmth of the giallo ornamental but never pictured myself with shiny, patterned countertops. Any opinions? The look I like is modern farmhouse--we are doing a farmhouse sink and have many antique decorations from my grandparents--old bottles, crocks and even a sellers cabinet. We have an open floor plan, decorated with yellow, red and warm green. We also have a large farmhouse table with benches (8 kids).

I would love advice on making this decision!

Thanks!

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teachertile

Why not a leathered giallo ornamental, so something similar? We saw several different slabs that had the leathered finish. I think you should stay away from black to bring warmth to your space. That's what I would do anyway.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:30PM
SparklingWater

Leathered cambrian black is very nice and a black and white kitchen is classic; just check houzz for comments and photos.

Having seen giallo ornamental-a beautiful stone, I do wonder if I would like the patterned seam as much as that of a leathered black. jmo. good luck.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 5:42PM
ellendi

I have giallo ornamental and I can't imagine it in a leather finish. To me the leather finish looks best with the solids.
It is an interesting look, but not very popular. I am wondering too if dust, fingerprints crumbs show more on this type of finish. I can tell you that with my giallo, I have to skim the surface with my hand because it hides the crumbs well.
I agree that black and white is a classic look, but you have to like it. Have you thought about your backsplash? That may guide you in one direction or another.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
Your longest stretch of granite counter w/o seam?
Our counters will be re-templated later today. It...
tea4all
Cabinet installation cost (not including cabinets themselves)
We are remodeling our kitchen (complete gut and changing...
schiari211
Large cove moulding?
I am looking for large cove moulding. I can't find...
brodyt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™