Cabot's Stain Question

walleyevisionJune 24, 2009

Ok, After much debate I've settled on Cabot's stain for my new cedar deck. Here's my question: should I use the semi-transparent or the semi-solid stain? I don't want it too dark, but I know the less pigment you have, the less protection. Let me know what you guys think. btw, the deck only gets morning sun.

thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolinma

I'm no expert but I just went through the same decision making process until I finally figured out that Cabot's 'Decking Stain', which is what I used, only comes in semi-solid or solid and is oil-based. The other types of stains are water-based, I believe, and those are the ones that come in semi-transparent, transparent etc. Maybe they are used more for siding? I have to say that I am very happy with the oil based stain..it really soaks into the wood for a very natural look (buy more than you think you need - I had to go back and get more). I used semi-solid Chestnut Brown and it is a rich, gorgeous color. Very happy.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 4:33PM
murphy_zone7

I am no expert either but my project for today is staining my deck. Did final cleaning yesterday and it is ready. I am using Cabots Decking Stain which is an oil based semi-solid. Carolinma, believe it or not it is also the semi solid in Chestnut brown, oil based. Tried it out on a scrap of wood and the color is wonderful. Back to Walleyevisions question, look on the Cabot Stain web site and check out the differences in stains that they have. Three years ago I used the clear solution on the deck I am now re-doing, the solid acrylic stain on the rail system of my front porch and the solid oil based stain on my mom's front porch floor. All have held up exceedingly well.
Needless to say I am extremely happy with Cabot stains and don't think you can go wrong with them. Just follow the correct prep and application procedures. You can get little see through chips at the dealer that will let you see what the stain will almost look like on your wood. Good luck on your project.
Murphy

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 5:47AM
nerdyshopper

I am also staining an old deck this year. I have been tending toward Sikkens SRD semi-transparent oil. I would consider the Cabots semi-solid too because it is available at Lowes locally. Do you know the relative cost? Any opinion on relative merits?
Nerdy

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:19AM
bledsoecreekgirl

carolinma or murphy zone 7, do either of you have pictures you can post? I, too, am considering/leaning towards chestnut brown. Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 3:05PM
justabottle_gmail_com

The Cabot Decking Stain is the best if you want a long lasting finish that will mask the wood grain.

If you want a long lasting transparent stain the Sikkens SRD is the best on the market. It's all I use, durable and very easy to maintain.

Joel Bucci
Coatings Professional

Here is a link that might be useful: ePaintStore.com

Bookmark   July 9, 2009 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Redoing my deck
My deck is in rough shape, and this is my first real...
Snowed In
Patio Railings
We are building a new covered patio and need to use...
ezski
2nd floor covered porch questions.
1) What is the proper technique and layers for a porch...
Molly Dunning
porch ceiling insulation?
We added an enclosed porch with metal roof, no plywood....
ohiojudy
Bad Caulk Job- Need Advise
We had some structural work done to our front patio....
Vanessa Abbey
Sponsored Products
Cabot Solid Wood Swivel Counter Stool (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Fredrick Ramond Cabot Restoration-Vintage Wall Sconce
1800Lighting
Cabot Entry Table - DK BROWN/MIRROR T
$2,999.00 | Horchow
Reed and Barton Corp Cabot Steak Knives - Set of 4 - 03180819
$45.00 | Hayneedle
60" Casa Vieja Montego Rubbed White Finish Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Cabot Yellow Table Lamp
$149.90 | Bellacor
Bush Furniture Cabot 5-shelf Bookcase