Pergola on Elevated Deck

stubitsJune 19, 2010

I am getting ready to build an elevated deck off the back of my house and would like to build a pergola into the design. I am attaching the plans for the deck and the pergola here. I think I've got a pretty good feel for where this is going, but I haven't been able to figure out how to mount the pergola posts.

As you can see, right now the pergola posts sit right on top of the main beam. This seems like the strongest option, but I am not sure how to attach it. Can I use something like theSimpson BCS Post Cap

Also, you'll notice that the pergola posts function as part of the guardrail and so must meet code requirements of withstanding a 200 lb. outward force. Can I use the Simpson DTT2Z product?

An obvious suggestion would be to use one continuous 6x6, but it would need to be nearly 20' in length, not impossible to purchase, but pretty impossible for me to install, although any suggestions to the contrary would be appreciated.

Any thoughts would be great!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

I don't see your plans but personally I don't like the concept of installing something structural atop a structure, ie, your elevated deck. Wind stress and possibly snow load are factors your pergola must be designed to withstand.

Here's my suggestion:

Plan the placement of your pergola on the deck.

Install concrete footings below the deck for each post.

Construct the deck such that a supporting structure is adjacent to each post (a corner would be even better).

Set the posts into stand-off post bases anchored to the concrete footings. Plumb them against the deck structure and bolt each one in place.

Build your deck, then the pergola. I like 6 x 6's for the posts but check local building codes.

My pergola is free-standing on a patio. It is built atop footings like I described. The linked photos give an idea how it was assembled and also my plans. Good luck with yours, hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pergola

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Roof Deck over Garage choice
Hi, I'm working with some contractors on an addition...
armada
azek harvest/terra? timbertech xlm? trex escape & transcend? help
I am at my WITS END going crazy trying to sort through...
tyjy
Would love your input for stair/deck remodel on midcentury home!
As you can see, we inherited an interesting staircase...
Kate
decisions-HELP
My aging parents need new front and back steps leading...
katkat
Sponsored Products
Hunter Ceiling Fans Caicos 52 in. New Bronze Wet Rated Ceiling Fan 53212
Home Depot
Lakeland Mills Rustic Twin over Twin Bunk Bed - LLM110
Hayneedle
New England Arbors Arbors & Trellises Malibu 10 ft. x 10 ft. White Vinyl
Home Depot
Steam Spa Royal Package for Steam Spa 4.5kW Steam Generators in Oil Rubbed Bronz
Beyond Stores
Blue Arbor Bowl - 4" dia.
$50.00 | FRONTGATE
Lakeland Mills Cedar Dog Bed Multicolor - PH1624
$73.81 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™