Any way to keep rain off my screen porch (a little)?

carajonJune 16, 2008

We have a screen porch on the south side of our house. It has 2.5 foot knee-walls and the screen panels that extend to the ceiling. The problem is that we (obviously) get lots of rain on the porch with the right combination of wind and rain. I do try to dry it off, but we are already getting some floor damage due to standing water. I would like to find a way to keep the water out, and am envisioning some sort of pull-down shade that would clip at the bottom. I've seen this type of shade to keep the sun out - has anyone come across something that would work the same way for rain? Or does anyone have any other ideas to keep the screen porch puddle-free?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decker173

What sort of floor do you have that it is damaged. Please don't say it's plywood with carpet.

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 11:28PM
kjboggs

I am interested in the same thing. My covered deck is open with vinyl railings, and a tongue and groove garapa floor. Even with 2' overhang, one end gets pretty wet when the wind blows the right way. I have thought about glass, canopies, or other relatively inexpensive options our there.

I was hoping to find a type of screen that would stop rain better than others, but I dont think such a thing exists??

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 10:52AM
carajon

No - not plywood and carpet! The floors are mahogany. The damage is not extreme - really just to the finish. I just don't want it to get worse...

Bookmark   June 17, 2008 at 11:35AM
dian57

Interior shutters?

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 4:49AM
carajon

Interior shutters - I hadn't thought of that. I'd love to see photos if anyone has installed these...

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 9:57PM
minneapolis

When I bought an 1894 Victorian house in 1966, the 8' x 12' three-sided screened porch (east, south and north) had 2.5 foot knee-walls, with screen panels that extended to the ceiling. It also had one-inch slat (pine stained dark green) rollup blinds on all three sides, with the exception of the screen door. These were not spring-loaded roller blinds but were operated via cords running though two small pulleys at the top of each blind. The cords were cotton, and only one wore out and broke in the 26 years I lived in the house.

When the blinds were locked in the rolled-up position, the excess cording was wound around marine-style X brackets screwed into the pillars between the screen panels. Such brackets were also located further down on the wall, near the floor, for anchoring the blinds so they didn't blow in during a windstorm.

Minneapolis gets some volatile thunderstorms in summer, but if somebody was home to roll down the shades when one hit, nothing inside the porch ever got wet. And I had an upholstered wicker sofa and chairs, with lots of down-filled throw pillows.

The floor was painted wood, re-painted once or twice over the years with deck paint. I put an excellent quality sisal rug down, and if it ever did get wet it didn't matter.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Needs to renovate decks. What are our options (INEXPENSIVE)
Our deck is falling apart. The wood is rotting and...
rbpdx
Buckling Deck and Hidden Fasteners
I've got a deck that has expanded to the point of buckling....
ruben_d
Bluestone Scratches from High Pressure Hose! HELP!!!
I used a High Pressure Hose and used, unfortunately,...
duffydawg
Cedar VS Pressure treated porch posts
When we built our house, the contractor put in cheap...
ricksample
to ipe or not to ipe?
Folks - I'm planning to redo my front porch and would...
tim_spivak
Sponsored Products
Handmade Partridge Cutting Board
| Dot & Bo
Rivendell New Antique Silver Two-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Wall Sconce, 1
Bellacor
Pink & Green Floral Piper Rug
$24.99 | zulily
Slither Dining Side Chair in White
$99.00 | LexMod
Witt Industries Can Collector 22 Gallon Blue Recycling Bin - 10/1DTDB
$110.44 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Accent Rug: Appollo Lite Gray 2' 6" x 4' 6"
$75.00 | Home Depot
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Wild Red 2 ft. 3
Home Depot
Jakarta Light and Dark Rope Table Lamp