light bulbs to deter bugs

grullablueJune 17, 2012

I'm wondering if anyone uses those yellow "insect bulbs" on their decks. We have been having fires many nights in the firepit in our backyard, and just a few times walking back and forth through the patio door, when we're done, we have thousands of tiny little bugs (like gnats?) flying over our dining room table, swarming around the light.

I LOVE to use my deck, and of course want to use my patio door, but the bugs are fierce! I'm wondering if those yellow insect bulbs really work? My deck is small, and I only have one light fixture outside that door...so I kinda need it!

So my first question is if they work to keep bugs from gravitating to it. My second question is if they are bright enough, since it is my only light. (I do have some string patio lights also, but obviously this serves as my only real light out there.

Also....the wasps have taken a liking to my deck as well, I have removed numerous nests from under the railing. Will spraying bug spray in the troubled areas help keep them from coming back?

Thanks for any input!

Angie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
khopew

Hey,

I recently moved near a large lake and the bugs are crazy bad! So for the first time I started using the yellow light bulbs on our deck, it doesn't totally stop the bugs from being attracted to it, but it GREATLY reduces the amount of bugs. It's been much better and now we don't end up with 50 bugs in the house every time we open the deck door! We got a 60 watt and it's our only deck light source too. It's not quite as bright as a normal bulb, but it's more then bright enough.

Good luck! :)

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
clear roof over patio
I would like some advice/help with the clear roof over...
ktmast
How many steps to enter the house?
Just curious here, working with new construction determining...
deviantnic
azek harvest/terra? timbertech xlm? trex escape & transcend? help
I am at my WITS END going crazy trying to sort through...
tyjy
Deck stain question for ipe and cedar and pine:
screened in application. ipe floor, clipped. cedar...
kellyrike
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™