preventing deck chairs from scratching deck

ng622June 25, 2008

OK--just finished staining a garapa deck--used wood-tux and looks great (but that is the subject of another post). We are already running into problems with the deck chairs--basic aluminum chairs around a table with plastic caps on the feet--scratching the deck. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? I don't think I can use those felt pads since it is outside. Also, we considered putting the dining area on an exterior rug, but am concerned that it is close to a tree and will get covered in bird poop. With the amount of time it took to clean and stain the deck, I hate being anal about people sitting in the chairs and sliding them around, but I can see that I am going to be unless I can fix the problem.

Please help!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hyatt

Its kinda hard to see but tenis balls, Im not kiding,, one of my Wallets went to the local club and got all the used balls he wanted for free cut a hole in them and stuck them into the chair legs. I know it sounds strange but the look was kinda cool. J.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 7:39PM
xterra

we had the same problem, but with two dogs and 4 grandkids, friends etc, the wife put it all in perspective. Its a deck. I stopped fretting got a cold one and forgot about it. wouldn't the dogs look funny with tenis balls on thier feet. Bob

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 8:26PM
dbernar1

A bit off topic - but do you have any pictures of the garapa stained with wood-tux? I'm about halfway through my deck and am looking into different finishing options.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 9:26PM
dekim5

The same thing is happening to our ipe deck sealed with penofin for hardwoods. I was tempted to try the felt pads but just let it go and now it doesn't bother me. The nice thing about penofin is that I can just wipe some on the scratches and they disappear.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 1:50AM
carolina_prowash

Hey John - look what I found! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Tennis balls for furniture :)

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 5:30PM
john_hyatt

Soooooo Funny Carolina,,,,I am gunna have to lay this on my Wallet!! It really works pretty well and the local club was more than glad to provide them.

I like the business aspect as well,never quit selling.

John Mon

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 6:51PM
mjh5

John,

Is your next venture going to be interior decorating?

Marty

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
How bad is this- builder did not use stainless screws on ipe?
I have a mess on my hands and would appreciate any...
LaylaJane
Slate or stone tile on a raised deck?
Has anyone used slate or stone tile on a raised deck?...
freedee
Covered concrete walkway weeps water on surface
I have a concrete walkway along the house that is covered...
naps1saps
decorative Concrete porch floor over concrete?
We poured our porch a couple of years ago, thinking...
DruidClark
Help finishing inside screened porch
Need suggestions. I don't know how to finish the top...
hlastala
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™