Hardware & kitchen lighting - match rest of house?

tklshopMarch 7, 2013

Would love your expertise, please! We are remodeling our kitchen in our 1950's California ranch home. I'm trying to take the house in a more cottage-y direction. The kitchen will have painted white shaker cabinets with dark-stained hardwood floors. We currently have oil rubbed bronze hardware (door knobs, hinges) throughout the house.

Do I need to continue the oil rubbed bronze into the kitchen? I would prefer to change to brushed/satin nickel in the kitchen. I'm not sure I want to make such a bold statement with my hardware and the dark bronze against the painted white shaker-style cabinetry will be a stronger look. We will have stainless steel appliances (fridge, dishwasher, range, hood) so the satin nickel will pick up on that.

So, for the 2 pendants over the island and the 1 flushmount fixture in the kitchen, should I match the kitchen hardware or the hardware in the rest of the house? I'm also facing the same dilemma in the newly added laundry/mudroom.

I look forward to your feedback! Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

You don't need to match the appliances -or- the predominant finish for the door hardware with the kitchen cabinet hardware or all the lighting fixtures.

Do what you like best with the cabinets.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 6:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rebeccamomof123

There has been lots of threads on this recently. It's not necessary to match the whole house. It's sometimes not even necessary to match hardware to lighting if done properly. I am doing shaker white cabinets also in my remdodel with stainless appliances and polished nickel cabinet hardware and faucet. The hardware in the pendant lights above my penninsula will be black. My penninsula chairs and kitchen chairs are also black, so it will will all tie together and allow for a little pop of style and contrast with the lighting without it looking misplaced. If you look at inspiration pictures on houzz.com you'll see lots of island lighting that does not coordinate with the cabinet hardware. Have fun with it and go with what you love!

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
Mixing finishes
Appliances are white with brushed stainless handles...
oasisowner
Kitchen Plan... getting closer!
I wasn't pleased with the idea of having to separate...
Dietitian
Almost Finished Pics - long time coming...
I'm still waiting to finish up some small details -...
aokat15
New to Kitchens? Read Me First!
Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you...
buehl
A different way to deal with the blind corner issue
I think this would require a very specific place to...
raenjapan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™